PDA

View Full Version : Back pressure

krazeedude
27-03-12, 01:14 AM
If I were to decat with straight through centre and cherry bomb exhaust (not sure how long for, but try everything once lol) what would be the best way of creating back-pressure? Is there a certain manifold which will help?

the engine is a c12nz

P.S. Please no 'haa you must be a chav' or 'this isn't 1981'. I've head it all before, and do things that make ME happy.

Thanks

swedge
27-03-12, 06:33 AM
Cherry bombs don't always sound crap, yeah they can be a tad loud at times but it depends on the exhaust setup too

Listen to my videos on my project thread, guess what backbox that is ;)

Will be coming off though as I have a magnex setup to put on now

Stuart
27-03-12, 08:29 AM
tbh the engine won't care about that exhaust.. back pressure isn't an issue at this level.

krazeedude
27-03-12, 09:28 AM
Really? I only have 45bhp (17 years ago) to play with, and I really can't afford to lose any! When you say 'this level', are you talking engine size or power output?

Stuart
27-03-12, 10:37 AM
I'm talking 'bolt on mods' that don't do anything other than noise.

It will be fine in terms of powaaaaaaar output

krazeedude
29-03-12, 12:01 PM
I'm talking 'bolt on mods' that don't do anything other than noise.

It will be fine in terms of powaaaaaaar output

If there was a thanks button, I'd click it ;)

Curtoise
31-03-12, 05:48 PM
im not so sure, when my old 1.2 center pipe rotted out and fell off so it was only the manidfold and downpipe it was hella loud, and it went slower.

in terms of backpressure im not to sure how to increase it my guess would be a smaller bore.

krazeedude
31-03-12, 09:01 PM
Daaaamn. I might need to find a more restrictive manifold. If I had a decent backbox maybe?

Pfft, I'll find out, I can always sell it on.

Stuart
31-03-12, 10:33 PM
I'll place £10 on you not dropping power etc with the setup you are going for,ESP if sticking with the standard manifold as that's about as restrictive as you can get.

Minikidx14
31-03-12, 11:29 PM
Back pressure is bad, you dont want to increase it.

krazeedude
01-04-12, 01:39 AM
Brilliant, thanks guys, it should be on in about a week, so I'll tell you how it feels/ what happens ;)

Stuart
01-04-12, 08:14 AM
It'll be noisy and no faster..... Job done.

krazeedude
28-04-12, 06:22 PM
Decat and straight through fitted. I have lost a little torque, but gained some bhp, it pulls better than it did before at higher revs. Lovely.