PDA

View Full Version : Problem removing fuel tank

Nova_Tek
26-03-12, 02:30 PM
The nova is on ramps & I'm trying to remove the petrol tank. Only issue I'm having is the breather hose that is located at the top of the tank (one that connects to the filler neck). I can't get enough force behind it to prise it off with a screw driver and Su can't get my hand in there.

Can the hose be removed off the filler neck? What are my options? It's the only thing holding the tank in position but It's too short to get proper access :(

mowgli
26-03-12, 02:33 PM
You could cut it, cos it will need replacing any way.... But yes there is a hose clip on the filler neck

Nova_Tek
26-03-12, 02:35 PM
I managed to get the clip off but the hose looks fused on. Closer inspection looks like the end of the hose is manky. Cutting a small length and replacing that section connecting the two hoses with a brass joiner looks like the best bet

mowgli
26-03-12, 02:39 PM
Just get some new hose from a decent motor factor they usually sell it by the metre

Andy
26-03-12, 02:58 PM
I used garden hosepipe lol

mk1nova_rich
26-03-12, 03:28 PM
As Andy says owt will do, but if you want I have a length of fuel resistant hose you can have for the price of postage...PM me

John
26-03-12, 03:29 PM
No point messing around joining it etc. suitable pipe can also be found on the bay for quids.

paul james
26-03-12, 03:40 PM
It will make life a lot easier if you remove the filler neck too, only three screws holding it in.

Iain
26-03-12, 04:08 PM
If you remove it from the filler neck you can pull the tank out with it still attached I reckon

I replaced mine with correct ID fuel hose.

Nova_Tek
26-03-12, 08:22 PM
I cut it out. Just as well really as the ends were all split and frayed. I'm gonna cut somewhere along the length of the breather and use a joiner to join a new piece of proper fuel hose (11mm ID). I'll pick a section where it is easy to remove and refit the clamps and cut it from there as I've funked up my knuckles trying to get it off. Also need to replace the smaller breather (4mm ID) which sits next to the filler neck breather as it has split and is in 3 pieces. This one runs along the back of the tank. AFAIK it just vents to air.

Thanks for the quick tips though :thumb: