PDA

View Full Version : Best way to turn a nova on its side??

gtegary
20-03-12, 05:30 PM
Hi, I know it's a bit of a strange one but I want to get all the underside of my gte stripped down and re undersealed etc but it's been a mission trying to do it whilst it's on axel stands.

So I know a few people have put the car on its side.

Just want to know what/how the best way is of doing it without a Roll over jig?

I only have a single garage as well so is it even possible to do in a single garage?

Spudly
20-03-12, 05:39 PM
Pic blatantly stolen from Joff's turbo thread, get a load of tyres for it to rest on, make sure youre resting it on somewhere that wont damage easily, and lift it onto its side, a few burly lads should do it, the prop it securely as you dont want a nova on your head while youre under it lol

http://www.elsamak.karoo.net/WIP4.jpg

mk1nova_rich
20-03-12, 05:42 PM
It will be a tight squeeze in a single garage if at all possible...take some measurements of the garage and shell and do some calculations.

Remove all possible weight from the car to make it easier - doors, glass, bootlid etc

It will be best to tip it almost on its side but resting on tyres and supported by some wooden struts. If you roll it right over it will be a nightmare to get back on its wheels. Use as many bodies as you can to make the job easier and maybe use some decent bits of wood to lever the car up and over - consider a decent trolley jack for the initial lift

Southie
20-03-12, 05:51 PM
Have a look at this, it may help and is quite simple ;)

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?109412-The-Counts-Track-Day-Nova-Build/page32

Jonlem
20-03-12, 06:03 PM
Handbrake it sideways into a kerb should do the trick lol

Tyres do apparently work, I've always worried about it damaging the rear 1/4 though doing it that way ?

Roll over spit is the way forward really but if you dont have the room no use whatsoever !

brainsnova
20-03-12, 06:05 PM
I would just bear it doing it on stands as the floor is pretty straightforward.

turbojolt
20-03-12, 06:15 PM
driving drunk helps, failing that two mattresses an two big blokes will do the trick

Jonlem
20-03-12, 06:20 PM
driving drunk helps, failing that two mattresses an two big blokes will do the trick

He wants to get the underseal off the underside of his car, not get into a big orgy with 2 big blokes in comfort.

Jack
20-03-12, 06:28 PM
Show it a corner, it'll fall over even before its got to it

Jonlem
20-03-12, 06:31 PM
Show it a corner, it'll fall over even before its got to it

pmsl