PDA

View Full Version : fuel coming out filler?

marc69
19-03-12, 10:43 PM
I had a fuel leak from the spi tank on my track car. There was a wee fuel feed pipe which seemed to be the culprit. I sealed the pipe and the leak stopped.

Today I went to put fuel in I opened the filler, fuel burst out.

Any idea why and what can I do about it?

autoworksnovasport
19-03-12, 10:48 PM
have you blocked thew breather????

marc69
19-03-12, 10:55 PM
the breather? the pipe is about halfway along the tank, halfway up.
I thought that the breather is connected to the filler?

What do i do to sort it?

Hydey36
20-03-12, 08:09 AM
Don't know about the spi version but on my carb version there is a tank breather that runs along the seam of the tank (halfway) and breathes fumes to the atmosphere.. It runs along the seam at the front of the tank from offside to nearside so is it this one you have blocked?? Also on my carb version there is a spill off/ breather that connects from the tank/ runs through the body and connects to the filler neck... Is that kinked?? Suspect if thats kinked and if you have blocked the only other breather then that would cause your fuel to poor out.. Must be a breathing problem of some sort. Hope this as been of use

novasrikev
20-03-12, 08:15 AM
you have a breather on the tank as hydey said and a vent pipe that goes from the tank to the filler neck

marc69
20-03-12, 03:56 PM
Thanks I'll have a look at it, the previous owner cut most pipes/wiring on this car as he stripped it and started to attempt to prepare it as a track car.

The tank has just the outlet now, going to an aftermarket fuel pump, no fuel return etc so abit of figuring out for me!

marc69
20-03-12, 08:40 PM
Been out tonight, the pipe that was leaking is the fuel return so I blocked it completely as there is no need on this car.

I found the pipe that runs along the seam, the breather? It had a screw in the end so, I removed this and put the pipe upwards through the hole at the passenger side of the tank so gravity prevents fuel from coming out. Is this correct?

I can't find any thing on the filler, it has a valve in it so I have to use a screw driver to hold it open when putting fuel in manually.

I put fuel in and can't see any leaks, I will leave it overnight and try tomorrow to see if any vapourisation causes the fuel to come back through the filler when the cap is released.

autoworksnovasport
20-03-12, 09:00 PM
that breather shoudnt have been blocked

the overflow on the filler neck is about half way down

Hydey36
21-03-12, 07:07 AM
The filler neck overflow, you will probably only see through the osr arch.. Halfway down. Where it connects to the tank you can't see when the tank is fitted so inspect as best as poss or tank removal is required

marc69
21-03-12, 08:16 PM
thanks, there was no fuel coming out today so hopefully it was just the breather being blocked up.

Hydey36
21-03-12, 08:58 PM
Sorted!! ;)