PDA

View Full Version : Pierburg 2e3 power loss?

Dave A
19-03-12, 10:08 AM
Right on my Endurance rally nova I have to run a standard carb, so using the the 2e3 pierburg. Out on a road rally at the weekend and the engine is not pulling at the top end as it was, seems to be running out of puff at just over 6k, when it would happily go to 7k before. I am suspecting that the the 2nd choke may not be opening, does this sound feasible? If so whats the best way to test this?

garyc
19-03-12, 05:28 PM
I'd check by sucking on the the vac tube and see if it moves. Could the belt have jumped a tooth? That's probably worth checking too.

mowgli
19-03-12, 05:30 PM
mechanical fuel pump?
fuel filter?
is the dizzy advance retard diaphragm ok?
how old is the coil?

Dave A
19-03-12, 05:41 PM
I'll check the cam belt, I'll change it at the same time. Its got a mechanical feul pump, fuel filter is new. Dizzy advance I'll check, was fine but you never know. The coil is the original on the car so 24 years old as far as I know. Just for info the endurnace rally regs do not permit any modifications to standard engine parts etc, keeps the costs down! Allegedly!

mowgli
19-03-12, 07:17 PM
Definitely get a new coil anyway

Dave A
20-03-12, 10:19 AM
Ok I'll swap the coil over. ANy other thoughts on testign the 2nd choke?

garyc
20-03-12, 11:17 AM
rolling road may be the easiest way to see if it is opening.

marc69
20-03-12, 04:07 PM
I had big problems with my 2e2 carb. Here is what i did to test and repair. Once sorted you really can feel the car thrust as the second barrel opens at 4000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear, obviously in 4th the limitations of a 1.3 stop any huge noticeable effect apart from a constant acceleration.

Anyway, I suspected the 2nd barrel wasn't opening, I was actually considering making a bracket for a camera phone! A mate suggested permanent marker on the disk thing in the barrel (is it a butterfly?)

I did this and the ink was still there.

I tried many different things, including checking vacuumes etc. Evetually I noticed that the big black vacuum nearest the bulkhead (no idea what it is for) in the pictures in haynes, the end bit which screws is half a dozen turns out. I did this with mine, drove it, car took off, and no ink. The petrol had washed it.

I further tested by doing it with and without the clip on the vacuum for the lever for the 2nd barrel. The Ink is a good tester, if the barrel opens it is washed away.

I hope this helps, once I had it going, it was the first time I had ever been in an SR where the 2nd barrel actually works properly, it makes a big difference for high revs.

In interest, has anyone ever removed/bent over the limiter bracket thing that stops the 2nd barrel from opening before high revs?

marc69
20-03-12, 04:13 PM

mowgli
20-03-12, 04:27 PM
doesn't this carb fit some old vw's too?

i fitted a scirocco engine in my brothers caddy pickup, and we did 2 things to the intake..
1. removed the manifold heater thing that looked like a hedgehog
2. messed with the 2nd barrel opening mech, simply cos whoever removed the engine had mashed it.

on low throttle it was fantastically good on fuel, but if you floored it, we could get down to about 12mpg, but it really went like hell.

so i'd agree, there is definitely some adjustment to do on the 2nd barrel

Dave A
20-03-12, 04:27 PM
Thanks for that, Ink sounds like a great idea. That black thing at the back is linked to the choke, I have removed the choke completely, so maybe I am now not getting enough vacuum or something, I'll have a look at that tomorrow night.

Dave A
22-03-12, 11:16 AM
Had a play around last night, the actuator was sticking so I have replaced that and cleaned out the vacuum hole in the body of the carb. I still couldnt feel a vacuum in the pipe at this point, even holding the engine on some highish revs. I think the adjuster that holds the second butterfly slightly open is maybe not open enough. As there will need to be some flow through the venturi to create the vacuum that pulls the actuator, if its shut there will never be any flow. Ran out of time last night, but that seems most likely now.

Dave A
02-04-12, 02:56 PM
Quick update. It turns out it wasnt the carb at all! We were competing on the Great Bustard rally at the weekend, the power loss got worse and worse, wouldnt rev over 5k. We hit a big bump and came down quite hard and the issue resolved itself! So I believe it was a blockage either in a fuel line or the tank itself, its running like a demon now!

Southie
02-04-12, 03:28 PM
Here's a 2E3 PDF that maybe useful for some future reference README (http://web.vip.hr/mbucek.vip/Pierburg_2E3.pdf)

Glad you sorted it.

Dave A
02-04-12, 03:55 PM
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

mowgli
03-04-12, 01:00 PM
http://vwa1.dadoghouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/2E2%20service%20instruction.pdf

found this too