PDA

View Full Version : Pierburg 2e3 to weber 32/34....

Hydey36
19-03-12, 08:05 AM
Morning lads... i have got a 1.3 and was thinking of swapping my 2e3 pierburg to a weber 32/34 as i have heard it gets rid of the auto choke and provides a good mix of performance and economy...... (correct me if i am wrong)

I hear though that apparently this is not a straight swap and that to fit it to my nova i would require either an adapter plate or a mk2 astra 1.3 inlet manifold...

Why?.....

whats the difference between a astra inlet manifold and a nova one??

also, should i buy a brand new weber carb kit , would the adapter plate be included??

novasrikev
19-03-12, 08:14 AM
the webber that i had on my 1300 was on a 1b manifold will have a look later and let you know
but as you said you will need an adapter plate from manifold to carb (they dont cost that much)
mine ran better with the webber than the 2e3 and a prefer manual choke too

Hydey36
19-03-12, 08:19 AM
i think i would too mate to be fair.... i don't think the choke is coming all the way off at the minute...

Gaz1300SR
19-03-12, 08:26 AM
I have done this swap on a few SR's I have owned over the years. I would buy new if I were you, you don't know what you are getting second hand. Weber do them new still I think for about £250. However, I got one new off eBay, (new old stock) for around £90 last year. Fully boxed and unopened. Just keep your eye out. The engine in the mk2 astra 1.3 is the same I'm sure so getting that manifold won't make any difference.

Hydey36
19-03-12, 08:31 AM
so it just bolted straight on then Gaz when you did your swaps??

Andy
19-03-12, 08:35 AM
You need the carb,the base plate (adapter plate) and the screws that go with it.
Remove the carb and the studs.Then you need to do away with the water pipes supplying the autochoke.Fit base plate and then the carb,pretty much done.
Iirc you need an adapter plate for a K+N aswell,be sure to get it set up at a reputable rolling road tuners as it probably wont be setup for a 1300 nova.

Hydey36
19-03-12, 08:38 AM
Nice one andy... very helpful.... all of you in fact...

Is it a conversion you would definetely recommend?? is it worth it performance and economy wise?

Andy
19-03-12, 08:48 AM
Yes,its alot more responsive,economy isnt too bad.
I forgot-you need a choke cable also.

jeremy fisher
20-03-12, 01:48 PM
I did this a while back. I contacted a guy at 'fastroadcars' on ebay and he told me what jets would be the best starting point and supplied them. Might save a bit of time and money on the rollers if its closer to being set up. In fact I just fitted the jets and it drove well, left it at that. Best improvement I noticed was the throttle response, not having to wait for the stupidly complex second choke to open!

GRUNT 16V
20-03-12, 02:45 PM
I have fitted uncountable amounts of these webers to astras and novas back in the late 90's as it was cheaper than replacing the auto choke unit !
PLEASE PLEASE do not use that K&N FILTER from your pierberg as the 3 securing nuts on top of the k&n will dent your bonnet !!!!!!!!!! THIS IS TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! either use your standard frying pan filter box or buy a pancake filter made to fit the 32/34 dmtl it shouldnt be any taller than 2"
Hope this helps

Hydey36
20-03-12, 03:32 PM
Thats brilliant mate... Haven't got a k&n anyway so will either keep my frying pan box and fit a panel filter or get a designated dtml filter... I have been down aldon automotive by me who can supply the weber and rolling road it once i have fitted it... So may be ordering it next month! ;)