PDA

View Full Version : 8v Conrods in a 16v block???

Ben (lurk75)
23-07-03, 04:11 PM
Have been told that i could use the GTE/GSi conrods in my C16 XE engine, the benifit i have been told about is that they are stronger due to being machined down.

Is this as easy as just bolting them in or is more work needed?

Also anyone know if the GTE/GSi flywheel would fit this engine? (C16 XE)

benji
23-07-03, 10:52 PM
dicko will probably know, PM him

brian
24-07-03, 01:02 AM
the bottom ends are basically the same. 16v pistons have four notch's on top to take the valves. flywheel will fit. i dont think there is any difference.

mikeoxford
24-07-03, 01:06 AM
the part number for the conrods is

looking on epc they are used for every engine you can imagine :lol: go for it.

i looked for pt number under the C16XE engine.

then put the pt number on search in the nova section

it lists 1.2 1.4 and 1.6

oddly not 1.3? im assuming they have a diffrent stroke length or sommat. so anyway yes they are IDENTICAL.

the benifit i have been told about is that they are stronger due to being machined down.

personally i cannot see the truth in this statement, im probly wrong. bt if the pt numbers are the same on both engines, they are interchangeable, no diffrence between them, so you wont see any gains

HTH

mike

mikeoxford
24-07-03, 01:11 AM
sorry forgot the other qns.

i only know the answers cos ive just done it all meself.

conrods need to be pressed on to the pistons or something at the top. but the bottoms just bolt on to the specified torque. and a cap goes around the crankshaft

again looking on epc........

pt number for corsa c16xe flywheel is 90448701

that DOSENT feature on the nova section.........

the gte/gsi flywheel is 90232333

dont know why there difrent - only thing i can think of is a difrent starter motor????? or gearbox perhaps? - clutching at straws there though

brian
24-07-03, 01:16 AM
dont know why there difrent - only thing i can think of is a difrent starter motor????? or gearbox perhaps? - clutching at straws there though
16v uses F15. GSi/GTE uses F13. id imagine thats the only reason the codes are different

_JH_
24-07-03, 05:50 PM
everyone always talks about the epc as if it is 100% accurate. in this case it may have provided the answer but just because two engines have the same part number for something, doesnt mean thats how it came from the factory. the epc is designed for use when ordering replacement parts after all.

i cant think of a specific example on the vaux epc, but on the ford one, the oil pressure sender part number is the same for most 1.1ohv engine and many others too. but in fact they were different depending on year, but ford werent gonna waste money making them all so they picked one that fits everything and gave it a part number for the lot. if you see what i mean.

the gte conrods may well be machined better than others, but vaux may not have wanted to waste time manufacturing and stocking several different kinds, so they just use the same part for replacement no matter what the engine as long as it fits

i think there was an argument over different pistons between 1600 astras and cavs, the epc said they were the same so a load of people thought they were, but the people who'd actually stripped both engines said they were'nt

sorry to rant but i think certain people should take that into consideration, and maybe take a look at all these different engine parts etc not just call up the old epc.

mikeoxford
25-07-03, 01:36 AM
enough said!

ill agree with the 1600 pistons

the 8v pistons on the astra 16sv engine i had were difrent to the E16SE bottom end im running now, but who cares as i have oversized race pistons now :D

Dicko
25-07-03, 09:32 AM
ok i was the person who told him to consider it, but im not 100% sure.

the c16xe starter would fit an 8v. yes the flywheel is completely different, and the clutch is 5mm bigger but still works as iv tried it.

its the actual conrods.

basicaly vuax cam up with the idea of making the conrod ends a cintered joint, which means it is specialy 'broke' on the line, rather than cut. if u take it apart it looks like somebody has just snaped the metal, rather than it being smooth and machined. vuax insist this is a stronger design but testing by many tuning companies has proven otherwise

Ben (lurk75)
25-07-03, 12:09 PM
Like i told Dicko, i have spare bottom ends for both engines so i will have to have a play around with them.

Just wondered if anyone else had done this, dosent look like it.

The flywheel would be excellent if it fitted as we think its over 5kg's lighter.

Will keep it all posted.

Phil GTE
25-07-03, 09:19 PM
8v flywheel will fit? :oops: wasted my money on spare c16xe flywheel to lighten then!

Dicko
25-07-03, 10:38 PM
not really

iv got a flywheel designed for an f13 box and it has more studs than the 16v wheel, so im guessing the 8v wont fit. also u would need to fit an 8v clutch which isnt quite as big and might not be upto the job

Ben (lurk75)
26-07-03, 10:18 AM
i have seen clutches for the F13/15 for sale as the same item.

Dicko
27-07-03, 06:18 PM
on the 1.4 f15cr maybe, the 1.4 didnt have the pot flywheel, also slightly smaller clutch

brian
28-07-03, 12:28 AM
is it the ecotec 1.4 that came with the F15 Dicko?

Dicko
28-07-03, 09:23 AM
most small block 16vs came with the f15 box, but the 1.4 had closer ratios