PDA

View Full Version : buying c20xe engine, what to look out for?

Christ
17-03-12, 03:51 PM
Hi, possibly a stupid post but hey ho.

Going to look at a c20xe engine tomorrow, its out of the car and the cam pulleys are missing but he says thats all thats missing.

He says its a 91 engine out of an astra GTE but i can see its got dispack, does that make sense, I would have though a 91 would be on dizzy?

what should i make sure is there, ecu etc?

Connor
17-03-12, 03:53 PM
Take the head off and check the valves/pistons are not mangled. You want all the ancillaries really and ecu and loom in an ideal world. Has he gave a reason why the cam pulleys are missing, for me that cries out snapped cambelt.

Will F
17-03-12, 03:58 PM
Astra GTEs didnt come with the coil pack engine, so thats not the best start! lol

If its less than £150 its worth it in parts, otherwise get one that you can check properly.

Christ
17-03-12, 04:03 PM
reason for missing campulleys is that they have been removed for another engine. He wants 250 for it but thats quite a good price for up here to be honest. It it a big job to take the head off? might ask him if he will do it.

pie
17-03-12, 04:06 PM
unless its cheap as will said

id walk away from it tbh unless he tells you why the pullys are missing

edit just seen your post lol

Pistol Pete
17-03-12, 04:18 PM
Offer less money. If its all ok win. If its not break it for spares. Make money back plus more if you are lucky then buy engine that is complete.

Mieran
17-03-12, 04:19 PM
I sold a fully built up tall block (timed up etc) for £150