PDA

View Full Version : The future of motoring?

JunkMan
15-03-12, 11:59 PM
My question is, where do you think it's going? Oil will eventually run out, hydrogen is a possibility at some point, electric is becoming a very interesting option in the last 2 years (it's still pretty dire but getting there)

My main concern is the cars from yester year, my theory is that there will be a equivalent of the scrapage scheme but it will be mandatory for anyone with a petrol car to give it up. Recycle the old cars into newer cleaner vehicles.

How would you react and what are your ideas for the future?

Nova_Tek
16-03-12, 12:03 AM
Americans (or Chinese) will probably come up with synthetic fuel that can be run by internal combustion engines. Let's face it Yanks won't give up their American muscle cars.

brainsnova
16-03-12, 12:04 AM
I'll be gone by then but my plan is a washing motor on my mobility scooter.

Bubba
16-03-12, 12:04 AM
plenty of oil left...ill worry about it later lol

scott.parker
16-03-12, 12:19 AM
Im already contemplating an LPG conversion for my MK4 Astra, as it's still allot cheaper, and clean fuel etc, plus they can make different gasses from recycled waste to power it the same as LPG does now.

VXRNuTTA
16-03-12, 12:34 AM
I'm not giving up my motors, theres absolutely no chance, even if we do run out i'll keep her in the garage and wash her every weekend lol :D

LEWI007
16-03-12, 12:49 AM
Years and years from now when people are above me in hover cars,

I will be below them in an E Reg on Webers !

Edd
16-03-12, 04:42 AM
I'll be dead by the time oil runs out so not really bothered lol

sionrow
16-03-12, 04:54 AM
im more woryed about the the day the last nova or c20let will be sad

peester
16-03-12, 06:58 AM
^^ yeah that'll happen sooner than oil and fuel running out.

Connor
16-03-12, 11:34 AM
I went to a seminar about this last year, its obviously a massive important issue, shame theres so much politics involved. Some german battery design company that came to our uni explained that in 10-15 years the future will be hybrid/ electrical cars, he said there will be new battery technology in 10 years but they still dont know what its going to be yet lol. And if that fails, they predict car manufactures will be forced to produce cars that will be designed for maximum efficiency, and there will be cars that will be made to go a maximum 60-70mph but with 70-80mpg as he said theres no point having cars that do over the speed limit. Really interesting subject, and at the end it kicked off between scientists and engineers arguing there cases, i was loving it lol.

MK999
16-03-12, 08:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFShHZv4wk

Lewis.
16-03-12, 09:08 PM
but electric cars just aren't a viable alternative to petrol/diesel vehicles, as they take so long to recharge. you cant be forced to stop for 8 hours every 100 miles to refuel, when we're used to only having to stop for 10 minutes every 400 lol and it's not going to work for the haulage side of things either is it?

and the biggest thing, that all these tree hugging wazzaks are forgetting...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fQSkvCFbry0/Tw5c7Nw8CNI/AAAAAAAAPYQ/cPlczneSEgg/s400/Power_plant_pollution.jpg

oh yeah, 90% of the UK's electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels :tard: so these 'green' electric cars aren't actually that green lol

Edd
16-03-12, 09:12 PM
90% of electric is produced by burning fossil fuel ?????????????

So we don't have nuclear power then ? I would guess that's 90% comes from that

Stuart
16-03-12, 09:14 PM
Nuclear power stations are key.

I see the argument for dull cars that max out at 70/80 but do mental economy..... Aslong as there are fun cars to compensate lol

Southie
16-03-12, 09:18 PM
In my opinion trackdays will get expensive for "fun/hobby cars" to burn what's left of the real fuel [will cost a forture though] and the main roads will be full of speed limit electric guff, at least some enjoyment maybe had.

Lewis.
16-03-12, 09:29 PM
90% of electric is produced by burning fossil fuel ?????????????

So we don't have nuclear power then ? I would guess that's 90% comes from that

lol what a nice thought. there are currently 10 nuclear power stations generating in the UK, compared to 84 sites burning fossil and biomass. Currently, just under 7% of our energy comes from renewable sources, with 9% coming from nuclear. (a figure that's falling, despite plans to increase to 30% ish by 2030 because everyones scared of it) so that leaves 84% coming from the chewy black stuff lol

scott.parker
16-03-12, 09:37 PM
Humm Sports bikes it is then!

Sarrfie the track days ARE stupidly expensive IMO now and that one of the reasons i gave up the track car, just not affordable any more.

Southie
16-03-12, 09:49 PM
What a shame then Scott to think you'll never do it again then if you can't afford it now :( Get that MK1 built up on budget bike carbs and have fun in it ;)

Jack
16-03-12, 09:58 PM
What happened to that fuel made up of small balls of stuff that was supposed to be a direct replacement for petrol?

Algae fuel would be nice, can grow it in the sea and nobody cares about fish anyway (aside from the spanish when they're stealing ours lol)

steviegsi
16-03-12, 09:59 PM
Fcuk knows what will happen.... So for the time being I'm using as much as possible. lol

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx199/steviegsi/964ba73d.jpg