View Full Version : whats the easiest way to get a door off?

NoVaBoOt26
15-03-12, 10:21 AM
Can anybody help me and tell me how to get the door pins out I can't get them out.

Cheers

brainsnova
15-03-12, 10:24 AM
An old bonnet stay is the right size and good for moving them. Soaking the pins with wd40 will also help

mowgli
15-03-12, 10:39 AM
Buy a door pin tool, remember to take the weight of the door with a jack or similar & a rag to stop damage, or the pins will jam. It also helps to have an assistant

mowen
15-03-12, 10:44 AM
Get a pair of self grips in and pinch the pin together as theres a slit right the way through the pin. ^^ also lots of wd40 an if you have, get a hot air gun an give it alittle heat.

Michael

mowgli
15-03-12, 10:46 AM
the wd40 doesn't do that much simply cos the roll pins are tight & there is a huge hole in the middle... a small amount carefully applied is better

NoVaBoOt26
15-03-12, 11:07 AM
Buy a door pin tool, remember to take the weight of the door with a jack or similar & a rag to stop damage, or the pins will jam. It also helps to have an assistant

Where can I get one of these mowgli?

brainsnova
15-03-12, 11:17 AM
I never have an assistant as my mates etc are always at work so I remove the wing and remove door strap and the pins so far then close the door and that supports the end :d When you fit new pins use the later type and cover them in copper grease

Mark
15-03-12, 11:33 AM
Where can I get one of these mowgli?

Egay..

GRUNT 16V
15-03-12, 12:41 PM
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/BOSCH%20ANGLE%20GRINDER.jpg

Connor
15-03-12, 12:47 PM
The easiest but probably not the best option
http://www.parkinplanttoolhire.com/images/Mr-Skill-Makita-Angle-Grinder.jpg

autoworksnovasport
15-03-12, 12:49 PM
ive struggled with this for years getting them out with punches and a set of mole grips

then was looking through the "how to" section and found the one with the bonnet stay "very very usefull" :)

GRUNT 16V
15-03-12, 12:49 PM
lol

Edd
15-03-12, 12:50 PM
Depends which pin type you have tbh, later type is easy

GRUNT 16V
15-03-12, 12:51 PM
just remember when removing the earlier pins the upper hinge pin gets knocked down and the lower hinge pin gets knocked up
hope this helps

christurboo
15-03-12, 01:02 PM
8m open ender and a hammer works a treat

Edd
15-03-12, 01:05 PM

Thats if you have the later pins

autoworksnovasport
15-03-12, 01:06 PM

on the newer pins maybe but the earlyer ones are flush in the hinge

(too slow :( )

jeremy fisher
15-03-12, 06:46 PM
I struggled for a long time then someone who had worked at just novas dropped one of the screws that hold the sill plates on into the pin and hit that instead, worked a lot better, though the proper tool is probably best. I found putting them back on was the real challenge, although I used roll pins not real door pins and they were tight like a tiger, don't think they'll ever drop though!

pie
15-03-12, 06:51 PM
another good way...............lol

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/torch.jpg

Spudly
15-03-12, 07:15 PM
another good way...............lol

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/torch.jpg

NEVER, EVER, EVER, DO THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not if you ever want to use or sell the doors again, i bought some doors a good few years back from a guy on here, he had also bought them but didnt end up using them, i wont name him as he was a genuine bloke and gave me a spare set of tatty doors and much much more, simply because he didnt need the parts and my nova was red, so he was like 'oh while youre here, do you want this, and this, and this' my poor lil nova was rammed, two sets of doors, a couple of bumpers (iirc) door cards, grilles alsorts, but anyways.....

The doors had been removed from the car that originally wore them, using a gas axe or oxy acetylene cutter/welder, and it had melted the hinge pins into the hinges and rendered them unremoveable and therefore the doors as scrap, shame as they were the doors i originally intended using, and only found out at about 1am when me and Andy were using the workshop at his old work to fit them :cry:

brainsnova
15-03-12, 07:39 PM
^^^^^^Could you not have drilled them out or were they a melted welly

Spudly
15-03-12, 07:43 PM
The were welded in firmly, we used a proper hinge pin remover and it just folded the outer over, we cut it flat to the hinge and tried to push out the pin where it wasn't melted/bent, snapped the tool iirc, I used the scabby doors in the end, they weren't that bad but weren't perfect like the ones with fooked hinges!

BRoadGhost
15-03-12, 08:53 PM
nine kilos of C4

John
15-03-12, 09:08 PM
nine kilos of C4

lol

i have a proper kent moore puller.