PDA

View Full Version : cv boot

shanehandley
23-07-03, 09:40 AM
just noticed mines split are they hard to fit?

how much are they?

Nova-Boy
23-07-03, 10:01 AM
They are about a couple of quid mate and all you need is a Haynes and the right tools.

You will have to take the wheel and brake off mainly and then tinker with the cv joint etc.

Not a bad job. I have to do mine for its MOT next month! :evil:

Dicko
23-07-03, 11:53 AM
go to a local garage and ask them wheres the best place to get a 'split boot'

it comes wit ha split and some grease+glue. means u dont need to take the shaft out to fit. just wrap round and glue bk together and they work fine.

if you can get 1 then u gotta pop out your bottom ball joint, then take out the split pin and take off the big nut off the driveshaft. get a mate to push the brake while u loosen it off.

next get a piece of wood and a hammer and knoc the shaft out. you might need to get a mate to hold the hub out while u hammer

Nova-Boy
23-07-03, 12:10 PM
Ah a split boot. I might get one of those actaully saves a lot of p*ssing about!

Dicko
23-07-03, 12:23 PM
if u just have a small split fro a temporary measure u can just clean it with a solvent and glue it with superglue. itl hold for a few hundred miles!!

rgv_stu
23-07-03, 01:50 PM
only takes half an hour to change a whole boot , not exactly a problem. and split boots/pattern parts are usually crap. vauxhall part with grease is only ?6/7. do it once - do it properly !

brian
24-07-03, 01:23 AM
i don't recommend a split boot. i used one before to save time but ended up doing it right afetr about two months when its ripped along the joint.
then again i might not have bonded it correctly :roll: