PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust too short?

therealnovaboy
10-03-12, 10:55 AM
Have a 4-1 manifold on a nova gte engine and mk1 nova. Im not sure what make the manifold is but im having difficulty fitting the standard system to it. Its about 8 inches too short and dose not reach the manifold when the rubbers are fitted.

Anyone had similar problem? could it be an exhaust for a gsi/sri and supposed to have a cat or do i have to get a system that suits the manifold? how far dose the manifold normally go back and could mine have been cut/ modded at some point?

Any pics of other exhausts fitted would help to see what part of mine is short. Im not sure wheather its the manifold or the system thats wrong.

tommy8252
10-03-12, 11:02 AM
I've had this problem, the 4 branches I've tried have either been too short or too long. So mines going to the place that fitted my powerflow system to be mated to the 4 branch.

phazer
10-03-12, 12:31 PM
Isn't it short to allow a piece of flexi to be used to join the rest of the system? on the original twin down pipe its connected using a cone gasket and two sprung bolts to allow it to move with the engine.

therealnovaboy
10-03-12, 01:05 PM
could be, both ends are flanged i assumed that it bolted together with a mesh gasket. i didnt think flexis were needed.

Could be a possibility to fit a flexi to make up the gap.

Adam
10-03-12, 06:44 PM
What 4-1 manifold is it?
If its a gte system, and a gte/gsi 4-1, then it will fit.

therealnovaboy
11-03-12, 11:52 AM
Im not sure adam, its second hand. the boy claimed it was an ashley but might not be. its a gte centre system as far as i am aware

are you saying that an sr/sri has a differant exhaust? if so i wasnt aware of this, are they longer/shorter?

mowgli
11-03-12, 12:15 PM
the non gte exhausts are incompatable with the gte ones, the jioint from downpipe to middle section are in a different place, but the back boxes fit ok..

therealnovaboy
11-03-12, 12:46 PM
ok so the 1.2,1 litres ect are differant as they have the 4-1 manifold, and the downpipis part of the centre section so its deffo not that ive got. ye?

Is the gsi, sr, sri all the same and the gte differant?

If I have a 4-1 tubular manifold for a gsi and a gte centre exhaust or other way arround gte manifold gsi centre exhaust this could be the problem?

anyone got pics of there exhaust fitted or can measure the length of there exhaust so i can work out what the hell ive got.

mowgli
11-03-12, 01:26 PM
ok, i'll put it a bit better, the mpi engines have a different 4-2-1 to the 1.3, 1.4 carb setup.

the mpi type has its joint a bit further back than the carb type. if your gte downpipe is in decent nick, can't you use a section of it to make the 4-1 fit?

phazer
11-03-12, 02:58 PM
ok so the 1.2,1 litres ect are differant as they have the 4-1 manifold, and the downpipis part of the centre section so its deffo not that ive got. ye?

Is the gsi, sr, sri all the same and the gte differant?

If I have a 4-1 tubular manifold for a gsi and a gte centre exhaust or other way arround gte manifold gsi centre exhaust this could be the problem?

The SRi has the same exhaust as the late GSi (with cat and extra bracket to hold the weight of the cat). The system is for all intents and purposes the same as the GTE and early GSi, the cat is in place of the pipe/silencer fitted on the GTE. I've got a picture somewhere of my original exhaust, let me see if I can find it.

anyone got pics of there exhaust fitted or can measure the length of there exhaust so i can work out what the hell ive got.

phazer
11-03-12, 04:00 PM
These are by no means brilliant pictures and the car looks manky but hopefully they'll help, this is an SRi with original engine fitted.

First pic, twin downpipe:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/phazer_mig/Ex1.jpg
Second pic, shows the floor mount and pipe connections to the cat, though there is a cat bypass in place here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/phazer_mig/Ex2.jpg

therealnovaboy
11-03-12, 05:40 PM
Ok think i might have a 1.3 1.4 sr tubular 4-1 manifold and a gte centre section. I bought a 1.3 sr exhaust pipe that goes from to the first join for £14 so should work somthing out. i wasnt aware they were differant.

failing that i can use this bit of pipe to extend the gte one.

cheers

rubachuk
13-03-12, 03:44 PM
This is what happened when I tried to mate a Janspeed 1.3SR 4:1 manifold to a Magnex GTE system on my 1.3SR. I suspect you've got a similar situation.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/rubachuk/IMGP2177.jpg

In the end I bought an Ashley 1.3SR exhaust to fit up with the 4:1 which it did fine.

However I didn't like the way the 4:1 manifold moved the torque up the rev range and ended up getting hold of a standard GTE 4:2:1 manifold and downpipe and putting the Magnex system back on.

therealnovaboy
14-03-12, 06:24 PM
yep was exactly like that. just welded the 13sr pipe to the gte exhaust and fits a treat.

cheers for the help