PDA

View Full Version : lowering power band

tommy8252
07-03-12, 06:32 PM
right just thought I'd check this before messing.

to bring the power band further down the rev range do I advance or retard the vernier pulley?

running an e16se on twin 40s with ast2 cam and the cam power band does not kick in till around 5000rpm. obviously this is too high in the rev range to be used safely so I need to bring it down to around 2000rpm. so do I advance or retard the vernier? or is there anything else I should be looking at first?

any help/advice appreciated

cheers, tom.

Royston
07-03-12, 07:25 PM
Accorning to kent cams....

Applications
Sports ' R '
Power Band3000-7000
Cam Lift(mm)
6.09mm Inlet/ExhaustValve Lift(mm)
10.30mm Inlet/Exhaust
Duration290 Deg
Inlet/ExhaustTiming36/74 Inlet 74/36
Exhaust
Full Lift 109 Deg Inlet
VC (mm) 0.00mmLTDCN/A

Have you had your car set up on a rolling road?

Would thing you need some proper power/torque runs to assess properly, (I'm assuming your judgement is subjective to how the car feels)

tommy8252
07-03-12, 07:50 PM
Yes, the carbs have been setup on the polling road as well as stripped, rebuilt, jetted and balanced but that's all that was setup. Tried having the cam timing setup previously using a dti gauge and adjusting correctly but was told it was nigh on impossible due to hydraulic lifters.

I know it should come on cam at 3k until 7k as I have a copy of the Kent cam brochure but as said it doesn't till 5k which suggests there is something wrong somewhere.

Royston
07-03-12, 07:59 PM
Have you any RR printouts?

I would speak to who set your car up for their comments

tommy8252
07-03-12, 08:21 PM
No printouts, the guy said he couldn't get a proper reading due to the car losing traction on his road.

Stuart
07-03-12, 08:28 PM
Set it to zero.

Dans old 1.6 8v ran 40's and an ast2 and it would pull from 30 in 5th clean to the limiter with no "kicks" of cam along the way.

tommy8252
07-03-12, 08:39 PM
Its currently at 0 Stuart. At the moment it seems underpowered until 5k then cam kicks in and it rockets away and feels like it will pull well past 7.5k but that's too high up in the rev range to use safely without blowing the bottom end.

Will F
08-03-12, 08:41 AM
So you dont have a graph to prove the theory?
Your sig indicates that youre making peak power at 5500?? So thats about right?

tommy8252
08-03-12, 12:12 PM
My Sig is from my old injection engine before the carbs were put on, needs updating once I have some accurate figures from this setup

Stuart
08-03-12, 02:02 PM
It needs updating with accurate figures from the old engine too :p lol

tommy8252
08-03-12, 03:25 PM
They are as accurate as I got, printout to prove lol anyway been running mine today and had a word with the bloke who set them up and he's said run it and as everything settles down I should see it pick up sooner in the rev range so I'll run it for longer and see what happens for now

Adam
08-03-12, 07:48 PM
The printout is therefore wrong for a 1.6 8v NA, you aint going to be producing 2000cc NA torque figures.

Anyhow, thats the thing with NA engines, youve got to rev them to get power, and the cam youve chosen is one that will put peak power to 6300+rpm.

If the guy cant get printouts on his RR then go to a decent RR place, a 1.6 engine isnt going to be an issue, traction wise, for a RR

tommy8252
08-03-12, 08:00 PM
Don't shoot the messenger lol I am not taking anything as holy gospel that would just be stupid. I know that with the cam I've chosen it will need to be revved hard to get the most out of it and that the losing traction thing is probably a fob off. And it will need further work on a rolling road with good reputation. All I'm trying to do at the moment is reduce the risk of my engine going bang until the above work can be arranged and financed. And before anyone else jumps in I know the simplest way would simply be not to rev it that hard. I am not chasing imaginary figures for pub talk or any of that just get my car to a point I'm happy with.

Adam
08-03-12, 08:01 PM
Has the bottom end got arp rod bolts?

tommy8252
08-03-12, 08:03 PM
Bottom end has no upgrades at all as yet.

Adam
08-03-12, 08:17 PM
Stick some ARPs in and should be good to go up to about 7000rpm.

tommy8252
08-03-12, 08:24 PM
Cheers Dan will get them ordered asap, anything else recommended to upgrade in the bottom end while I'm there?

burgo
08-03-12, 09:32 PM
who's dan :confused:lol

tommy8252
08-03-12, 09:42 PM
My fail sorry Adam. Dunno why I typed Dan.

mowgli
09-03-12, 12:05 PM
They are as accurate as I got, printout to prove lol anyway been running mine today and had a word with the bloke who set them up and he's said run it and as everything settles down I should see it pick up sooner in the rev range so I'll run it for longer and see what happens for now

is it me or is the above a little dodgy.... 'run it & it will settle down' is the sort of excuse people used to make sure cheques had time to clear... if a car is set up, it is set up.... an engine can loosen up a touch with age/miles, but if a set of 40's are bolted on, they should be set to optimise the engine first go.

Stuart
09-03-12, 12:18 PM
is it me or is the above a little dodgy.... 'run it & it will settle down' is the sort of excuse people used to make sure cheques had time to clear... if a car is set up, it is set up.... an engine can loosen up a touch with age/miles, but if a set of 40's are bolted on, they should be set to optimise the engine first go.

Agreed, if its setup its setup, rock and roll.

Unless your carbs have bent spindles (most do :( due to poor setup) or setup by a retard, then it should be fine.