PDA

View Full Version : Weber 32/34 carb won't hold idle

JonL
22-07-03, 02:10 PM
I was on the motorway a couple of weeks back when i changed down a gear to come off at the juction and i coasted for a small bit and then my engine cut out. Ever since then its not been able to hold its idle speed.

I took it off and bought the refurbishing kit, i replaced what i could, and i managed to find a screw!!! inside it, seemed to have been one holding the air filter in. anyway i put the carb back on today and it still won't hold idle.

Basically you start it and rev it, then it goes down to 0 rpm and stalls.

Anyone got any ideas, i am gonna have to swap it back again today to the old carb as i need the car tonight.

Snowface
22-07-03, 06:07 PM
sounds like it isn't getting any fuel.

JonL
22-07-03, 06:33 PM
Definately getting fuel as i can see it being squirted in, although that is only when i press the throttle, i presume it needs to take fuel automatically when it idles?

rgv_stu
22-07-03, 07:44 PM
blocked idle jet or crap around the mixture screw

i presume you made sure the inlet manifold had no air leaks etc

JonL
22-07-03, 08:39 PM
hmmm, thinking about it one of the bolts that held the carb onto the iinlet manifold felt like it might have been threaded and not screwing down properly, although the seal between the inlet and the carb did seem to be good. I'll investigate.

Also are the idle jets the ones on the top in the centre inbetween the two air inlets?

Where is the mixture screw. Please forgive my ignorance, i have tried to find a mannual to explain all this to me but i haven't been able to :(

nova-1
22-07-03, 11:19 PM
Take the nuts and screws off the top of your carb and it will split into 2 clean all the jets.

rgv_stu
23-07-03, 10:22 AM
no he doesnt have to do that

the jets are accessable from the top between the two chokes. icle jets are the short ones on the outsides, primary and secondry

t

JonL
23-07-03, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys,

Well, i took those out and cleaned them(poked a needle through the holes, no luck, still won't idle?

Maybe its that dodgy threaded inlet manifold bolt?

Is there anything else that it could be?

rgv_stu
23-07-03, 10:53 AM
if one of the adapter plate bolts has come loose or stripped the thred in the baseplate then thats likely to be the problem

btw you shouldnt poke anything in the jets just blow them out

ade
23-07-03, 10:53 AM
mine did this - revs kept rising/falling, car kangaroo'd - stalled, etc etc. Its air leaks.

Check ALL gaskets - carb to manifold, manifold to head. Turned out to be small pitting on my carb at the seal from the carb to the manifold - couldnt fix it so got a new one (?250!)

Check the rubber hoses at the back to make sure theres no splits - sucking in air.

Check the jets too...

Ade

smudger68
23-07-03, 12:49 PM
If it's an air leak, the engine will rev quite high before dying ( all in a matter of a couple of seconds ). I also had a high pitched squeal, again down to the air being sucked in. Have you checked that you're float chamber is ok ?

Dicko
23-07-03, 12:51 PM
it WILL be an airleak trust me !!!!

JonL
23-07-03, 04:38 PM
cheers guys will do some investigating on it later. Shame its off the car now, could do with another engine to do the testing on ;)