PDA

View Full Version : engine building

turbojolt
03-03-12, 11:08 AM
Getting bored on weekends so I want something to do, I was thinking of building up a engine a stroked 1.2 (with the 1300 rods and crank),what I want to know is what are all the basic things I would need to buy tool wise and what would I use to hold the engine whill I'm working on it would I need a engine stand?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated :thumb:

Benn
03-03-12, 11:27 AM
lol unless you have a really strong mate, then you need a engine stand,
Sockets 8-19mm (6sided are better)
A rail of torque sockets (i have 8 to 20 gives all you should need for crack bolts and head bolts)
A few ratches, with extention bars and reducers
A toqure wrench,
Piston ring fitting,measuring tools.
Verner (sp?) measuring gauge,
Screw drivers (mixed)
Sand paper to sand surfaces,
A tool box to hold it all.

Cleaning bits, rags, sprays and such.
Engine building lube or thick oil.
Gasket sets, any bolts that need replacing.

Iain
03-03-12, 02:04 PM
On top of that list maybe micrometers for measuring crank journals etc?

Piston ring fitting tools include fancy pliers, compressing tools to fit into the bore, feeler gauge to measure ring gap

swedge
03-03-12, 02:18 PM
plastigauge

turbojolt
03-03-12, 04:08 PM
Better get a engine stand then I've seen them crane/stands are they any good

Iain
03-03-12, 05:31 PM
Built my XE on one of these, should be able to find one cheap second hand cos they're not that expensive new

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ces-500a-engine-stand

turbojolt
03-03-12, 06:12 PM
Bloody hell that is cheap lol if I can't find one 2nd hand I will just go get one on payday cheers iain

I will have a look on eBay for one of them digital measuring thingie ma bobbies lol

Iain
03-03-12, 06:14 PM
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cm145-digital-vernier-caliper?da=1&TC=SRC-digital%20caliper

There's a Cromwell Tools round the corner from me, they look like they do some awesome stuff.

turbojolt
03-03-12, 06:27 PM
nice what about feelers gauges I had a look just now but don't know what one to go for, as in how many feelers do I need