PDA

View Full Version : 100 Watt Bulbs

Graeme
03-03-12, 10:38 AM
As we all know Nova headlamps are sh1te, I've had the beam checked and its fine but they're still poor on country roads, I despise cheap hid kits and the way they light up the sky, I also know the 100 watt say not for road use but its the only way I can think of improving them with out fitting a set of Super Oscars lol, just wanted to know if the Nova wiring is up to the extra load and isn't going to start warming up and if they are worth buying?

Thanks Graeme

amggsi
03-03-12, 10:41 AM
I out 100 watt bulbs in my SR for the drive down to Billing and it survived OK! Having said that it's the only night driving I've done in it so don't know what it would be like everyday!

Royston
03-03-12, 10:55 AM
Long term you will melt the H4 connector, make it brittle due to the additional heat, blacken the wires there is also the additional load placed on the switch.

To do properly you should use heavy duty relays for switching, keeping the load on the std wiring low.

Graeme
03-03-12, 11:09 AM
Cheers all, how fast are we talking Roy? How heavy duty are we talking?

Royston
03-03-12, 11:18 AM
Watt = Volts x Amps

100W filament draws 8.33Amps x 2 = 16.66 Amps

Std wiring harness is capable of @ 16 Amps

A set of std aftermarket relays and suitable wiring would be fine.

The life of the std harness will be how long you drive round with the lights on!! assume you are looking at 95/100W H4's or have you found some 55/100W H4's

Graeme
03-03-12, 01:08 PM
They're 95/100w H4's, I'll get a couple of relays from the motor factors and make up some small looms, so they run safe, thanks all

Novasport
03-03-12, 01:10 PM
Try these first, Auto Express seem to rate them highly.....

http://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/philips-xtreme-extreme-vision-car-headlight-bulbs

Novasport
03-03-12, 01:15 PM
So do peoply buying them it seems....

Now I can see!
I live in the country but have never found the headlights on my Kia Sportage to be effective. I have tried a wide range of 'upgrade' bulbs and never found them to make much of a difference. I thought I would try these Philips Extreme Visions as I had read some positive reviews. They've made a world of difference - I can now see! Recommended.
By Pat on 1st November 2011

Sturge
03-03-12, 01:25 PM
As above! There's some very decent bulbs out there these days. PIAA do a nice range as well. Or a bit cheaper, Halfords Super Brilliance and Extreme Brilliance are worth a look on bogof.

Worth noting though is that several police forces 'never' ran 100W bulbs in older Vaux patrol cars due to poor lighting ;)

Jack
03-03-12, 01:53 PM
PIAA bulbs are good, I'd recommend Xtreme Force but they're expensive (especially in H4 fitment).

Halfords +90/120 are good; Osram Nightbreakers are generally rated well but I wasn't overly keen on them. Cheap though.

Graeme
03-03-12, 03:27 PM
Thanks folks, I have the PIAA chrome ones for my two door but at 75 quid I won't be buying another set for my four door, just purchased a set of Phillips extremes, I'll see how they compare to there Rally 100w versions

Royston
03-03-12, 05:19 PM
Please let us know what they are like

Many years ago I use to run std H4's in the SR but fitted 2 off Lucas 20/20 with 100W bulbs and 2 off Lucas DX160's with 55W bulbs (420W total)

Keep debating whether to refit them, but don't use her at night very often now

Graeme
03-03-12, 08:05 PM
I must say that they do make a difference out in the dark and don't look any brighter than new cars, must be down to pitted headlamps and covers lol

Novasport
03-03-12, 08:16 PM
When I got my first Sport on the road I had 4x Cibie Super Oscars mounted on Theta lamp brackets, 2 up 2 down. I built a heavy duty relayed loom to handle 4x 100 watt bulbs, fitted a diesel battery & a 100 amp alternator:d. The diesel battery also helped with starting a cammed, twin carbed engine on a cold winters morning.
I used to drive home from work in winter down unlit country roads with the things blaring away like I was on a rally stage:thumb:.
Unfortunaly they did not last long, some stupid cow ran into the front of me and wiped them out :cry:. The Nova survived but her Mk2 Golf was written of lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/IMAGE_038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/IMAGE_036.jpg

Actually Royston, I gave Phil the loom. Was it with the parts that came with his Sport when you bought it.

Royston
03-03-12, 09:30 PM
Actually Royston, I gave Phil the loom. Was it with the parts that came with his Sport when you bought it.

Not that I've noticed