PDA

View Full Version : paint reaction

richi
02-03-12, 10:59 PM
Just been spraying the nova in primer, done every panel fine and the car, came to the wings last of all which are fiberglass and the primer reacted , it reacted as soon as the paint touched the panel. I didn't do anything different to the rest of the car prep wise, used filler , stopper sanded to 500 panel wipe and tac cloth. Is there a way of finding out why it reacted of should I just rub down and try again?

davidfox280585
02-03-12, 11:15 PM
i would rub it back down and give it a few coats of barcoat to seal it

Nova_Tek
02-03-12, 11:30 PM
Rub it down back to metal and primer it or a seal coat of some kind as mentioned.

swedge
03-03-12, 12:04 AM
Rub it down back to metal and primer it or a seal coat of some kind as mentioned.

Wings are fibreglass lol

Nova_Tek
03-03-12, 12:05 AM
lol my bad. In which case a sealer should do it

novasrikev
03-03-12, 07:24 AM
i would get all the primer off the wing with 320 finish in 400 wet and dry clean with panal wipe then tack 3 light coats of barcoat (but make sure you have a good covering) leave to dry de nib if needed then prime with what you used on the rest of the car job should be a good un

Pistol Pete
03-03-12, 09:03 AM
Barcoat FTW. Did my entire engine bay in this after i stupidly hammerited it. After talking to the paintshop guys they informed me it would react. Doh!!

From this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Pete_58/Nova/IMGP1827.jpg

..to this..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Pete_58/Nova/IMGP1871.jpg

..no reaction. Mint finish!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Pete_58/Nova/IMGP1967.jpg

richi
03-03-12, 10:41 AM
So I take it barcoat is a type of sealer? Will go to the paint shop today hopefully then cheers lads

davidfox280585
03-03-12, 04:24 PM
barcoat is a direct sealer, DO NOT add hrdener or anything, just pour in and spry though give it right good stir first s its lumpy little in the tin

craighawkins
03-03-12, 11:36 PM
if it were me i'd 240 the panels off bar coat it then straight on with 2k primer for a bit of build.
assuming of course it definatly is reaction and not just poor fibreglass

richi
04-03-12, 09:06 AM
Just wondering if you had that had dinted with rust say a rear quarter so you tap it out fill etc would most body shops then use bar coat then primer in this situation or is bar coat only really used when there is chance of a reaction

16xe_chris
04-03-12, 12:28 PM
Hi Richi, the most probable reason for the reaction is that there will still be realising agent on them, which is wax based.

Did you wipe over them with thinners to remove this?

If you didn't clean them off with this there will still be wax residue on them.

Hope this helps

Chris

Steve
04-03-12, 12:56 PM
As chris said it will most likely be the release agent, are you spraying this in a booth? If so you should strip the primer off and bake the wings as this will get all stuff in the fibreglass to expand and it should leave lots of little craters (like big pinholes) where its escaped. Then you should be fine to prime once you've flattened the wings down.

richi
04-03-12, 06:09 PM
Not doing in a oven I did panel wipe and tac, not to worry though will just redo with bar coat, lesson learned, I have never used it before so will see how it finshes