PDA

View Full Version : What's with the new mot certificates???

Plug
02-03-12, 08:36 PM
Well the nova past today :) Lol

But what's with the new certificates just a bit of paper?

Just suck compared to the old ones

MK999
02-03-12, 08:37 PM
cheaper and easier to produce... plus it's all electronic now anyway so they don't need to be difficult to fake, doesn't matter how legit it looks if it's not on the system lol

Lewis.
02-03-12, 08:38 PM
it's a reciept to confirm an entry has been made on the MOT database. the old one didnlt actually mean anything either, only the old old style hand written ones were worth owt.

it's just VOSA's attempt of saving money, as now they don't have to supply the blank 'certificates' anymore lol

Plug
02-03-12, 08:40 PM
Just doesn't feel as nice in my hands or pretty lol

Lewis.
02-03-12, 08:43 PM
i know it sucks, every customer we hand one to asks the same question, then says they don't like it lol also its going to be very easy to lose amongst all the other paperwork compared to a nice green one

7ova
02-03-12, 08:45 PM
the mot cert and the advisory's are now all on the same bit of
paper, can't really hide anything when you sell your car now

Pistol Pete
02-03-12, 09:20 PM
The thing that baffles me is, the whole thing is now computerised so why cant they sort a system to send reminders like the road tax??

IMO an MOT is the easiest thing to genuinely forget about. lol i've driven for a week without even realising a while back!

Stuart
02-03-12, 09:31 PM
The thing that baffles me is, the whole thing is now computerised so why cant they sort a system to send reminders like the road tax??

IMO an MOT is the easiest thing to genuinely forget about. lol i've driven for a week without even realising a while back!

I got ANPR tugged for forgetting the Clio needed it.... Live and learn. But yeah even if they just printed the MOT expirey date on the tax reminder.

Lewis.
02-03-12, 09:37 PM
these folk http://www.mot-reminder.com/?gclid=CL6tyeSTya4CFYUgfAodqXoZBA (http://www.mot-reminder.com/?gclid=CL6tyeSTya4CFYUgfAodqXoZBA) do it, whilst it's not VOSA, it's still good. We staple a leaflet to each certificate we do

Jack
02-03-12, 09:57 PM
Tyre shop I was in today, a customer in there said the exact same thing about them being easy to lose now lol

It doesn't really hide the advisories either as all you have to do is simply print some fake ones. In fact, once this has been going for a few years you could create an entire fake history of MOT's for your car as I don't think you can check the old details (mileage, advisories etc) online?

Lewis.
02-03-12, 10:08 PM
you can still check the mot history on direct.gov, Jack. see here: http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/servlet/ECHIDDispatcher

Connor
02-03-12, 10:49 PM
Well done on the nova mot, i see you've had a nightmare of a day with the inner cv going.

staggy_gsi
02-03-12, 10:59 PM
i work at a garage/test station, and we managed to somehow forget about the MOT on our clio van for 9 months!!

I agree that there should be some sort of reminder sent out like there is with tax. our garage has a system whereby if your vehicle has been tested by us, its on our database and once a month we print out MOT reminders for all our customers and post them out

Connor
02-03-12, 11:19 PM
A txt or email service would do the trick imo

Tim Harpley
02-03-12, 11:57 PM
You can sign up for a text reminder here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_192284 it costs £1.50 for 3 reminders 5 weeks 2 weeks and the day before hope this helps.

Spudly
03-03-12, 10:59 AM
it's a reciept to confirm an entry has been made on the MOT database. the old one didnlt actually mean anything either, only the old old style hand written ones were worth owt.

it's just VOSA's attempt of saving money, as now they don't have to supply the blank 'certificates' anymore lol

This is bang on, its not an MOT certificate anymore, with everything being computerised now, it is just confirmation that your car is now on the MOT database for 12 months, i find it amusing that people are moaning that theyre easier to lose now, but it doesnt matter if you lose it as everything is computerised lol

Typical example, ive lost the insurance certificate for my astra, now this is only a problem come taxing time, oh hang on no its not, you just go on the doovla website, enter the reference number and tax it online, its going to be a problem when you get stopped and are given a producer, oh, hang on, no its not as its all computerised now and you dont/wont get given a producer anymore as they can check everything at the roadside!

Imo, it wont be long before the insurance companies start just emailing you a receipt of insurance and stop bothering with certificates aswell!

Pistol Pete
03-03-12, 11:26 AM
^ Insurance companies are already emailing docs. HIC does.

Jack
03-03-12, 11:31 AM
I think a physical insurance certificate is a legal requirement.

Benn
03-03-12, 11:33 AM
the mot cert and the advisory's are now all on the same bit of
paper, can't really hide anything when you sell your car now

lol i keep my fail sheets with the Mot doc, and would give it with all the history or the car come to seeling time. No point hiding it..

pikey1986
03-03-12, 01:17 PM
lol i keep my fail sheets with the Mot doc, and would give it with all the history or the car come to seeling time. No point hiding it..

thats exactly what i do, if its been fixed theirs no point in hiding it, when i buy a car i always ask if they've got the fail/advisory sheets so i can see what work has been/needs to be done