PDA

View Full Version : renault clio

dave.gsi
21-07-03, 10:02 PM
raced a clio at the lights today and was sadly beaten :(

only just mind but i'm pretty pissed to say the least. the clio had three big lads in and i was carrying just my g/f (with no back seats or shelf). i think it was a 16V but i'm not sure cos it was dark green (only ever seen blue 16V's).

when pulling away my car has allways been slow till about 3000rpm.then after that it takes off till it hits about 6000rpm. is this normal or is there something wrong?

should a standard gsi beat a clio? as i say we were level till i changed in to third when he pulled away by about five yards then i had to let him in cos the road changed back to one lane.

and before any1 says it blahh blahh i know racing is bad but the odd one never hurt.

Gazza14SR
21-07-03, 10:06 PM
My 14srT40 keeps up with my mates 1.6 16v reasonably well so i think you may have a problem. The acceleration on mine is instantly there and is rapid when ya boot it.

Not sure what you need to look at but you should defo be keeping up with the clio. Is your gsi standard or tuned in anyway?

Snowface
21-07-03, 11:57 PM
depends what size engine the clio has. if its a 1.4 then u should of nailed it easy.

It prolly was modded, just like we mod Nova's. Could of been running a V6! U never know, except u would prolly not even of got near a V6 in a GSI 8v.

HEVY-nova
22-07-03, 12:08 AM
if the clio u are on about was a 1.8 16v then u did well not 2 get properly rinsed as these things have 137bhp as standard. they dont hang about! you can tell if it was a valver by the flared arches, bonnet vent and alloys.

Fester
22-07-03, 12:35 AM
ive always found clios to be fast

wisewood
22-07-03, 10:23 AM
My 1.2 clio is much quicker than the nova 1.2 as standard.

The 1.8 16v clio's are very very fast.
when you say you have only seen blue 16v's you'll mean the williams... they only came in blue with gold wheels etc - but the 1.8 16v was available in a number of colours. Grey, green, red, black etc.

Nova-Boy
22-07-03, 10:26 AM
I must admit the williams does look nice. But the newish clios are a little girly. :lol:

Jim
22-07-03, 10:28 AM
My Girlfriends just bought a brand new Renault Clio 1.2 16v sport and it's lovely. We're running it in at the minute (engines only done 467 miles :)). From what I hear these cars are nippy throughout the different engine sizes.

Don't be too upset about not beating it, you won't be able to tell whats under the bonnet, could have been a 2.0 16v.

The reason why your car suddenly picks up acceleration after 3000rpm could be due to your cam. My cam doesn't kick in until around 3500-4000rpm. Doesn't necessarily mean that theres anything wrong with your engine.

Jim

Gunzi
22-07-03, 10:38 AM
I have a mate with a clio 16v and he could have me when i had a standard gsi. As you gsi's have around 100bhp and he has around 137bhp I think and another 100kgs or so.

NuTtY nOvA fLaIr
22-07-03, 10:39 AM
You never know it might have had one of these under the bonnet :o
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/821big.jpg

dave.gsi
22-07-03, 01:02 PM
lol,

anyway, a new day a new dawn.

so,

i dug around for my trusty copy of total vauxhall and found the good old air filter test for the nova. i have now finished modding my airbox and have fitted a big fat ram pipe behind the front grille. took about 45 minutes in all to complete the job. just have to wait for a replacement filter element now and it'll be finished. even so, running the standard paper filter it seems to pick up better :D

JonL
23-07-03, 02:28 PM
I had a clio 16v before my nova, I never thought my clio was 'that' quick, the power comes in at 4,500rpm(crude variable valve timing, 8v up to 4500 then the full 16v's ), so it needed alot of reving. To be honest i can't feel too much of a difference between it and my 1.4sr.

When I had my clio, and my mate owned the nova i now own we had a couple of races. Basically up to 50-60ish it was pretty even and then past that the extra displacement kicked in and my clio went past him.

Also the clio 16v(1.8) also came in williams blue aswell as the williams clio itself, so if you see a blue one look for the williams badges or the gold wheels to tell.

The green colour is the rarest colour they did the clio 16v in (i think its called Brooklands Green).

wrightster16
24-07-03, 07:06 PM
I had a clio 1.4rt before my sri and it was pants, the nova is quicker to sixty. and the clio loses power in third, where the nova keeps on pulling. compared to ure gsi it must have been a 16v. because those 1.6 16v clios aint that quick. better luck next time hey. or get a valver lump in there. then just smile when u see any clio. ha ha

mr_tricky
27-07-03, 09:14 PM
The mk1 16v clios arnt that quick,get yourself a b+ head, exhaust and a filter and ul whoop them. And as for the new clio 2.0 16v i whoop those all the time including the cup version.

jatinder
28-07-03, 01:24 AM
could be your timming mine wasklike that until i adjusted it

dave.gsi
28-07-03, 01:26 AM
i thought the timing was adjusted automatically by the ecu? or did i dream that lol

RobIsGrt18
28-07-03, 03:15 PM
i have a 1.4rt which is standard and rather slow !! the 1.8 16v is quick and wud out do a gte/gsi (if std) i think u can get a 1.8 rsi which is 8v and slower! my m8 has a tuned williams and it is v. fecking quick !!!!