PDA

View Full Version : Couple O MOT questions

Stuart
24-02-12, 06:19 PM
Will the Airbag warning light being on cause a fail or just an advisory? (lots of websites and forums with contradicting info on them)

And Will the fact that its a 3dr car but the drivers seat no longer tilts for access be a problem? (it does recline adjust and do the fore/aft movement as per the levers)

fankooo

staggy_gsi
24-02-12, 06:27 PM
AFAIK, the seat is failable now, but i dont think the airbag light is failable until 1st april...

Stuart
24-02-12, 06:31 PM
Oh well, I'll find out on Monday lol... I know the airbag is easy to get round with some resistors, but the seat is a bit more surgery

ben doodar
24-02-12, 06:38 PM
My works van passed mot last week with the airbag light on. N that was at quite a strict mot place. I hear very soon vosa are starting to fail mots for riped or torn ball joint, anti roll bar and t.rod end boots!!

staggy_gsi
24-02-12, 06:40 PM
you can already fail them things mate, ive been doing so since 1st january lol

reevie1987
24-02-12, 06:50 PM
My works van passed mot last week with the airbag light on. N that was at quite a strict mot place. I hear very soon vosa are starting to fail mots for riped or torn ball joint, anti roll bar and t.rod end boots!!

boths advisorys and its already came into play for rubbers splitting from 1st january

Stuart
24-02-12, 06:51 PM
Mr(s) Saloon said its ok along as the pax seat moves to gain access to rear belts :) phew

Saloony
24-02-12, 07:21 PM
Thank you Mrs Stuart

Mark
24-02-12, 07:39 PM
So just to clarify.....Airbag light on and drivers seat not tilting is a pass? If so, me so happy, and will MOT now and get it passed before they change the law.

reevie1987
24-02-12, 07:56 PM
yer it will pass get a MOT on it

Mark
25-02-12, 02:42 AM
Minty.

MK999
25-02-12, 08:20 AM
All the new rules, airbags being present, cats on cars that should have them, warning lights etc are an advisory until april 1st (i think, possibly march 1st?) When they come in in full force as fails.

Also read a notice when my MOT was being done saying if the car has been adapted to not need airbags, original seatbelts, adjustable seats etc then it can pass without them, and the example they gave was a rally car... so chances are peoples track cars will be fine too :d

John
25-02-12, 08:37 AM
There's a new ruling stating that if it's french and the driver looks a bit iffy it will fail :P

TeddyThom
25-02-12, 02:53 PM
Also read a notice when my MOT was being done saying if the car has been adapted to not need airbags, original seatbelts, adjustable seats etc then it can pass without them, and the example they gave was a rally car... so chances are peoples track cars will be fine too :d
So does that mean if I was to remove airbags etc (not that the nova has airbags but you know) all I have to do is state that it is a road legal rally car and everything will be fine??

MK999
25-02-12, 02:59 PM
So does that mean if I was to remove airbags etc (not that the nova has airbags but you know) all I have to do is state that it is a road legal rally car and everything will be fine??

No it means it has to be adapted as such that it no longer needs airbags etc, e.g a rally car which follows other much more stringent safety rules.

Basically common sense prevails and if you go in there with a multipoint cage, 6 point harnesses and a pair of seats that would survive a 150mph roll, they don't stand there waving their finger and go tut tut, no airbags lol