PDA

View Full Version : Dropped kerb please

DAFTJOHN
23-02-12, 04:27 PM
Getting a monoblocked drive on Monday and have had to ask for permission to lower the kerb. Approval granted and two contractors suggested....but they want £1200 min to put in two transition kerbs and 3 drop kerbs. That seems an awful lot!

Does anyone know of someone who is an RAUC member and has their own public liability that can do this job in south Lanarkshire?

Or is 1200 a reasonable charge and I'm miles out....

SimonTW
23-02-12, 04:30 PM
I got quoted £750 by the council to drop the curb wide enough for one car space outside our house in Preston, Lancs. Long plank of wood worked out cheaper so went with that option.

DAFTJOHN
23-02-12, 04:46 PM
I got quoted £750 by the council to drop the curb wide enough for one car space outside our house in Preston, Lancs. Long plank of wood worked out cheaper so went with that option.

Is the plank illegal or Is that okay and jut let the council know that the kerb is now open for me to drive over

bazil
23-02-12, 05:33 PM
Beleive it or not but if any council equipment gets damaged by your bit of wood ( roadbrush etc ) the council will charge you for the damage, £1200 is about right round here, total rip of but if you do it yourself without the council permission they can replace the full kerb back in and charge you.
I've done my fair share of work with SLC,

Mike
23-02-12, 05:35 PM
Local council charged my mate just under £2k for his drop kerb. Took them farking months to actually come round an do the work though!!

gazz
23-02-12, 05:40 PM
Getting a monoblocked drive on Monday and have had to ask for permission to lower the kerb. Approval granted and two contractors suggested....but they want £1200 min to put in two transition kerbs and 3 drop kerbs. That seems an awful lot!

Does anyone know of someone who is an RAUC member and has their own public liability that can do this job in south Lanarkshire?

Or is 1200 a reasonable charge and I'm miles out....

Thats a good price. when you breakdown all that goes into it..

DAFTJOHN
23-02-12, 05:51 PM
Beleive it or not but if any council equipment gets damaged by your bit of wood ( roadbrush etc ) the council will charge you for the damage, £1200 is about right round here, total rip of but if you do it yourself without the council permission they can replace the full kerb back in and charge you.
I've done my fair share of work with SLC,

I have the permit request here and they've approved the kerb. I called them and asked about a metal ramp, block of wood, concrete ramp etc and the reason they stopped that was incase a cyclist hits it.....I'd be liable.

It's also only legal as a driveway if it's a dropped kerb.

Oh well looks like I'll have a nice non grass front garden and have to park on the street haha

16v Nova Kev
23-02-12, 05:53 PM
its 600 for the council to do it down here.

Benn
23-02-12, 06:13 PM
A friend of mine was Quoted a grand to do it, wide enough for the two cars.

16xe_chris
23-02-12, 06:21 PM
It's getting the old ones out as they will be in a good way down and are normally covered in council style concrete underneath, you will probably have to break out the Tarmac on the path side to get them out as well, hire yourself a large jack hammer and do it DIY style lol

SimonTW
23-02-12, 07:20 PM
Yeah, its not legal as far as I know but I live right on the end of a cul de sac so chances of something getting damaged are very slim.

Bubba
23-02-12, 08:24 PM
place across the road from me just has some tarmac to make two up ramps. i expect because its not a typical kerb...its good ol' cornish stone kerbs

mowgli
23-02-12, 08:36 PM
legally, you are meant to use a certified streetworks accredited contractor, simply ring all the local non gypo tarmac people & get a decent cash price..

to get the kerbs out is a doddle, hire a jackhammer/kango, dig down the back of the kerbs, do not mess with the sub base, take kerbs out & fit new drops on a thin bed of dry mortar.. couple of hours, knock up some concret to haunch up the backs & after 24 hrs, get it tarmaced...

you may guess, i'm actually streetworks accredited.. but getting the council permit is the pain in the bum.. your driveway may not actually be legal, they need to assess access issues.

you also have to be careful to avoid virgin media cables, they are dead shallow....

oh, and laying tarmac is not a simple diy job...

just get a pro in.. i'm surprised your block pavers can't do it or recommend someone

DAFTJOHN
23-02-12, 08:50 PM
legally, you are meant to use a certified streetworks accredited contractor, simply ring all the local non gypo tarmac people & get a decent cash price..

to get the kerbs out is a doddle, hire a jackhammer/kango, dig down the back of the kerbs, do not mess with the sub base, take kerbs out & fit new drops on a thin bed of dry mortar.. couple of hours, knock up some concret to haunch up the backs & after 24 hrs, get it tarmaced...

you may guess, i'm actually streetworks accredited.. but getting the council permit is the pain in the bum.. your driveway may not actually be legal, they need to assess access issues.

you also have to be careful to avoid virgin media cables, they are dead shallow....

oh, and laying tarmac is not a simple diy job...

just get a pro in.. i'm surprised your block pavers can't do it or recommend someone

Cheers for the info. The council have approved the drive. The block worker has asked about the ducts - that sides fine I'm with sky but he'll need to watch for the neighbours!

He's not interested in it as at the time the local authority were charging 500 quid and for him to match that he wasn't making much. He's put me in touch with a mate that'll do it for 700. Proper Tarmac guy.

Andy
23-02-12, 09:52 PM
Both BT and Cable TV are shallow.£700 is cheap,one of my customers paid £1300 iirc for only 2 approved contractors,and the company he chose were the cheapest.

sam86
03-05-17, 05:28 AM
Hi, Sorry I know this is an old thread but am wondering if anyone has had any recent luck with dropped kerbs in South Lanarkshire. Have approval from the council and need RAUC approved contractors - only quote I have been able to get so far is £2000+VAT+£260 for the permit which is a little ridiculous, especially considering quotes for other council areas. Any information or advice would be great thanks!