PDA

View Full Version : child tax credit..

Alex J
23-02-12, 11:14 AM
just got a letter in the post saying i have been over paid child tax credit by £500.62p seven years ago, just rang them up and they have told me that i have 30 days to pay it back or go to court! WTF!! anyone else had this??

Plug
23-02-12, 11:21 AM
No but I got £110 tax rebate lol

mowgli
23-02-12, 11:28 AM
if you go to court, you can point out you're not working due to medical thingummies & pay it at £2.50 a week

Alex J
23-02-12, 11:32 AM
if you go to court, you can point out you're not working due to medical thingummies & pay it at £2.50 a weekthats whats going to happen if worse comes to worse, thing is, im sure the over payment was only 200 back then, and was paid back, and i cannot check this as i split with my other missus 7 years ago and havent spoke since or know anything about were she is lol!

mowgli
23-02-12, 11:38 AM
ahh..... best of luck trawling thru that minefield then

Peanut_119
23-02-12, 11:50 AM
this is the rule for one and rule for another situation, as i am owed child tax credit but they told me that they cant backdate it more that 3 months, so if a time comes where i owe them money they will be told i cant backdate more than 3 months.

Jack
23-02-12, 01:12 PM
As mowgli said, considering your personal situation at the moment then its highly unlikely a court will let them take it all in one hit.

thats whats going to happen if worse comes to worse, thing is, im sure the over payment was only 200 back then, and was paid back, and i cannot check this as i split with my other missus 7 years ago and havent spoke since or know anything about were she is lol!
Who was it billed to, and who paid it, you or her?

Alex J
23-02-12, 01:46 PM
As mowgli said, considering your personal situation at the moment then its highly unlikely a court will let them take it all in one hit.

Who was it billed to, and who paid it, you or her?paid to both , they reckon she owes 500 aswell, but the letter i got was for me only! bring on the courts!

Andy
23-02-12, 09:56 PM
Both of the couple who claim for it get the same letter-we do every month,im very surprised at the going on about 7 years ago,i thought they only went back 5 then it was deleted??
Go to county court and offer them a £5er a week.They cant ccj you,cant bang you up and cant say no as your offering to pay something.A mate of mine was being threatened with jail over CSA and went to court and offered £10 a week as thats all he could afford,they had to accept it.

Bubba
23-02-12, 11:26 PM
Ring up. i had the exact same letter 30 days to pay yadda yadda random scare tactic to get money i think. if you make the effort to ring up, explain you want to pay in installments they will then set up a payment thing for howerever much you can afford. job done.

i had this with my x (for her kids when i was living there) over paid £990 since they carried on paying her after i had moved out AND after she had informed them. so they had overpaid us (well her). when i rang up they said I could either pay the whole lot lol lol or split it with her 50/50 even though she offered to pay all of it they wouldnt let her since it was both of our responsibilities...so with the 50/50 option he then let me set up a payment thing for how much i could afford each month. was quite reasonable about it.

rubachuk
24-02-12, 01:58 PM
Got a letter earlier this week about Child Tax Credit. Apparently the limit you can earn and be entitled has come down again, from £51k and year ago, to £41k this year and down to £26k next year. Brilliant £130 a month out of pocket. Fookin cheers. Just love getting my **** taxed off to pay the dole dossing spongers.

Not exactly what you were talking about, but meh.

Andy
25-02-12, 11:18 AM
Just love getting my **** taxed off to pay the dole dossing spongers.

In this current economic climate,that is not the case in most circumstances anymore.
However,the government are doing a belting job of taxing the working class families for everything they have,while the rich get richer-the working families get poorer.

Old man Jimbo
25-02-12, 03:18 PM
Got a letter earlier this week about Child Tax Credit. Apparently the limit you can earn and be entitled has come down again, from £51k and year ago, to £41k this year and down to £26k next year. Brilliant £130 a month out of pocket. Fookin cheers. Just love getting my **** taxed off to pay the dole dossing spongers.

Amen brother. I'm funking bouncing about it! I said to the wife stuff it lets go on the benefits they seem to do alright. I'll quit work due to alcoholic issues and depression with a bad back and she can become a baby chav factory.

Sorted 50k a year for fudge all FTW!

rubachuk
27-02-12, 12:00 PM
In this current economic climate,that is not the case in most circumstances anymore.
However,the government are doing a belting job of taxing the working class families for everything they have,while the rich get richer-the working families get poorer.
Not got a problem with those that pay into the system, use it to prop themselves up while they genuinely look hard for a job, and then go back to work and pay their way again. I have a huge problem with the dole dossing spongers that have no intention of getting a job and sitting at home while I'm working to fund them.

Andy
27-02-12, 12:43 PM
Im exactly the same mate.

mowgli
27-02-12, 12:51 PM
99% of the population keep going thru thick & thin, they'll always look for a job, and even take on an awful one if needs be.. they do this because its what you should do, to be an honest decent member of society..

the professionally unemployed have been around for a long time, i read in a book recently about somebody complaining that a parish charity was giving too much to needy families (in 1660) and these people had given up working because they could live on the handouts.....

Pete
27-02-12, 02:23 PM
Alex, if you have not acknowledged the dept in the last 5 years (6 in Scotland) then they can use no force against you to recover the dept:

Have a read of this

Statute Barred
A debt is considered Statute Barred if a creditor has not contacted a debtor for a period of 6 years and no action has been taken on the account.

Although the debt is still legally acknowledged as being owed, the creditor is not able to take any legal action against the debtor in order to recover the debt. It is considered unfair if a creditor or debt collector misleads the debtor into believing the debt is still legally recoverable. It is also considered an unfair practice if the creditor or debt collector press for payment after the debtor has stated they will not be paying the money owed. This could amount to harassment contrary to Section 40(1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.