PDA

View Full Version : fault code reader recomendations

draper
22-02-12, 07:08 PM
has anyone on here got any imput about fault code readers ? recomendations, ones to not bother with etc
Its not just vauxhalls i want it for (my mondeo is playing up currently) so no paperclip tests etc please

there seems to be hundreds on fleabay and some look better than others but some seem far to cheap

Markd89
22-02-12, 07:57 PM
i just recently bought a snapon ethos as i do alot of abs/airbags for people i paid £400 off ebay for it which isnt to badly priced i've already made half of the money back so if you have the cash invest in a snapon one.

draper
22-02-12, 08:08 PM
slightly out my price range lol

im looking more at the entry level stuff that costs the same as someone else doing it for me

Andy
22-02-12, 08:19 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-Diagnostic-Scanner-CAN-OBD2-EOBDII-Code-Reader-NEW-/150403709077?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2304c27895
i have one of these,worked on citroen/peugeot diesels,and my sri astra g,earnt its money back many times over.

stewart_2004
22-02-12, 08:21 PM
Hey mate,

Ive got afew diagnostic cables from ebay which are very good for a number of makes & models and they are a good price.

You can get the obd elm 323 which will do 16 pin diagnostics There is an elm 327 which is an upgrage but will work with can bus ecus I also have a formidable 16 pin lead which will work on most ford cars you can get a lead for vag group for £10 which works with vagcom from ross tech these are usually over 200 you can also get add ons for different diagnostic sockets such as bmw I have also just got the op com vauxhall lead which will work with cars up to 2011 models. The prices of leads are between 10 & 20 each im a mechanic and use them on friends & family cars and they work just as good as what we use at work.

draper
22-02-12, 08:23 PM
worth a punt at that price, can you change the lead for if you need one of the other connection types ?would make it more versatile then aswell

Andy
22-02-12, 08:26 PM
worth a punt at that price, can you change the lead for if you need one of the other connection types ?would make it more versatile then aswell
Fixed lead,dunno if theres any aftermarket type attachments though,i only bought it for the sri when a light came on,recomended by a few members on AOC-it did its job well,message the seller to see if it will work on ya mondeo as iv never tried myself and dont know anybody with one to try for ya.

draper
22-02-12, 08:29 PM
prefer a stand alone reader rather than having to have a laptop in the car aswell, makes it easier to do when not at home etc

Andy
22-02-12, 08:45 PM
I agree,feevin cants on road wars have laptops in cars lol