PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I decide what engine to choose! :/

Danb1987
22-02-12, 06:46 PM
I'm really stuck now! The missus has decided to let me keep the nova as a toy because if I sell it il only buy another one eventually....

The thing is I really can't decide what I want, the car will be taken to shows and insured on a temporary basis for when I need it, my options so far are c20xe, c20ne or an msd v6 engine..

The v6 seems to be the most cost sensible option as there penny's compared to an Xe

However everyone's told me I can't go wrong with an xe for the grin factor, I just think it would be a little bit more special with a v6 perched under the bonnet!

Hopefully il be getting the bay welded up in the next few weeks ready to drop somthing into it :D

What's people's oppinions of all 3 from past experiences etc.

Connor
22-02-12, 06:58 PM
v6

Novasport
22-02-12, 07:02 PM
X18XE on TB's or turbo'd

novasrikev
22-02-12, 07:05 PM
get a baby xe in it browny

Danb1987
22-02-12, 07:16 PM
I tried a baby xe mate and got bored whilst trying lol..

For what I'm going to use it for I think the v6 is looking the most promising cost wise.

Jack
22-02-12, 07:23 PM
Don't forget though the V6 would be the costliest to insure and run.. and yes they're cheaper to buy (although an MSD one, really? I thought they still fetch decent money) but then you have to offset that with the additional work required to fit - exhaust, mounts, suspension - where as the 2.0 would be all off the shelf bits. There's still plenty of them around for cheapy ones if you're prepared to travel places and be patient, lots of unfinished projects or breakers which would be ripe for parts.

I should imagine the MSD is just as amusing to drive as the 3.0V6 as they're similar power and would make the 2.0 feel slow, but it depends if you want it go round corners. I'd say if you want to have a quickish car, get the 2.0 and tune it up a bit; if you want something thats amusing but don't care about getting anywhere quickly (or how many hedges you eat) do the V6 lol

Danb1987
22-02-12, 07:41 PM
Hahaa jack the v6 is just tempting me so much and i could get an msd engine for £260 delivered :/

Surely the v6 isn't that bad at handling? I trust what you say from your experience but surley it's ok...ish?

Iv had 2 let engined cars now but they Way to expensive for me and I want to go N/A power now, as for the running costs it will only be insured on temporary insurance when I need it so the costs for a few days a year should be ok!

Iv still not been in an Xe nova but I'm guessing there ace as they've been done so many times.

Lewis.
22-02-12, 08:01 PM
I'd say XE, as the V6 is a lot of work, and doesn't really fit, hacked out slam panel just doesn't look very 'show car' to me lol
C20NE is 115bhp and pants, if you want to go 8v, then at least fit a 20SEH, extra 15bhp for nothing, but then for the same work you could have an XE and 150 bhp :tard:

have you actually enquired about temporary insurance with modified vehicles yet? as far as I know it's not really done

Jack
22-02-12, 08:10 PM
Yeah, its Ok, but not really comparable with the XE. I used to find the XE a bit wobbly if you tiptoed round corners, but if you actually put the hammer down it could drag itself round pretty well. The V6 just... won't lol

Lee dragged mine round combe alright, but to be fair that was a track with a decent surface and wide corners. On a normal road it can be quite a handful. Don't worry about cutting the slam panel though, if you use metal covers you can get away with a light trim and cover that with the same rubbery stuff that goes along the firewall :cool:

Good point on temp insurance, the only ones I've seen who cater for mods only handle light stuff. I was only paying about £400 for mine on a full 12 month policy though with Sky so its not too bad.

Danb1987
22-02-12, 08:17 PM
The insurance side of things iv not really looked into :/ iv just got a quote from Lancaster for £148 fully standard for the year so I'm ringing them tomorrow to see my options.

If I could afford the xe I'd be very tempted but on eBay there all between £300-£600 :( plus I don't want it to just be another Redtop nova?

I need to get the chassis seam welded up first and then decide which way I want to go..

Andy
22-02-12, 08:24 PM
x18xe.Good engines.

Lewis.
22-02-12, 08:30 PM
The insurance side of things iv not really looked into :/ iv just got a quote from Lancaster for £148 fully standard for the year so I'm ringing them tomorrow to see my options.

If I could afford the xe I'd be very tempted but on eBay there all between £300-£600 :( plus I don't want it to just be another Redtop nova?

I need to get the chassis seam welded up first and then decide which way I want to go..

cheapest way to buy one is in a rotten MOT faliure calibra/cav/astra, then pull it out yourself, which means you don't find you're missing bits, and have nice extras like CV joints if using big block hubs. also means you can actually drive it and know the engine is good.

I paid £300 for my donor calibra, took the engine and box, and leathers etc, then weighed the shell in for £170, sold the leathers for £100, and bonnet vents for £30. oh look, free engine :cool: lol

Danb1987
22-02-12, 08:33 PM
That seems like a very good idea tbh Lewis, I saw a cally redtop on Gumtree for £400 the other day but it's gone not I think lol

If I do it that way il have pretty much everything il need... brakes etc

**off on a car hunt**

Lewis.
22-02-12, 08:35 PM
exactly, and it's quite satisfying cutting up a cally barge too lol this one got the merris treatment after we ripped out it's heart lol

Edd
22-02-12, 09:09 PM
Fit a smallblock xe and tune it, will driver better than any heavy big block rubbish, dont need to ruin your engine bay with cutting and welding and it will go round corners

Jack
22-02-12, 09:23 PM
My big block XE went round corners fine, my small block didn't

...considering the V6 is technically a small block lol

Nobby
22-02-12, 09:26 PM
I'd say XE, as the V6 is a lot of work, and doesn't really fit, hacked out slam panel just doesn't look very 'show car' to me lol

lol Not everyone wants a "show car" and is not much work than a xe the 1 thing being the rear manifold and exhaust, mounts can be bought and same shafts box as any big block. Id rather have a engine that "doesnt fit" :roll: lol than sit there polishing a 20-25year old car all day, at the end of the day its still a Nova :thumb:

Spudly
22-02-12, 09:26 PM
Yeah thats true Jack, didnt you put your smallblock nova in a hedge lol

Edd
22-02-12, 09:33 PM
All personal taste I suppose, I hated my XE, had way more fun with the 1300 I had before, hated even more after I spent time and cash trying to get it to drive round corners, plus if you have a clean non rusty engine bay its ruined for ever after fitting a big block, did that as well lol

.....how can a V6 be a smallblock ? lol

Spudly
22-02-12, 09:35 PM
A v6 is both, the heads are small but the bottom end is big lol

And with pennies in the right place any nova will handle well, xe or not, but you have to put pennies into any nova to make it handle well, as out of the box they just dont :p

Nobby
22-02-12, 09:40 PM
tbh my v6 i havent had any real handling issues with but i dont go boy racing round like a 17year old in maccies lol

Danb1987
22-02-12, 10:41 PM
Quick question... I may have found a decent engine. But it doesn't come with a loom or ecu, how hard would it be to source a vectra gsi loom and ecu kit?

I think I'm more swayed towards the v6 now just as it's something different as such :)

Bubba
22-02-12, 10:42 PM
Ls1

Nobby
22-02-12, 10:44 PM
mate i wouldnt bother buying just a engine imo theres enough cheap vectras or calibra v6s out there

Danb1987
22-02-12, 10:52 PM
I can't find a gsi v6 in my price range thow, this lad Is selling the engine box shafts struts brakes and subframe for £230 deliverd... I'd need a loom and a matching ecu set I think and that's pretty much it.

Jack
22-02-12, 11:24 PM
TBH for the price you'd pay to get a matching loom, ecu and immobiliser, you may as well just add that onto your engine budget and get a complete engine. There's a load of V6s on ebay complete, even some GSi engines, in that budget. Or if you can afford it, stretch a little bit to a full car and break it to return some cash.

Plug
23-02-12, 12:27 AM
Xe or turbo an 8v

And as everyone else says pointless buying the engine without loom
and ecu, as I'm guessing with the msd it's a differant map and finding another will cost you,

Also as edd mentioned about a 16xe, there very nice engines in nova's and go well,
I used to beat Astra gsi's on the strip apart from Ste haha that was a fun Pvs lol

Mieran
23-02-12, 12:43 AM
I rather use a Nova flintstone style rather than V6 it

blue_peg_16v
23-02-12, 12:50 AM
Msd ecu is just the same as a standard v6 the only difference with a Gsi to a standard v6 is 2 g cams on the inlet other wise engines are identical.

Plug
23-02-12, 12:58 AM
/\ Arhh not to clued up on the 6 potters