PDA

View Full Version : lesson to learn..

Alex J
20-02-12, 05:36 PM
im a bit hard up on the money front at the moment so thought id save a few quid by fitting a fresh cambelt on my vauxhall combo myself, bad idea! after putting the whole thing back together, it wont start for ****, and even after towing it round the block, it only pours out blue smoke, id say im a grade a **** and ive ****ed it. i ****ing hate vans/cars and everything else that takes fuel. going to weigh the heat of ****ing **** in, 2k down the drain! happy ****ing days...

swedge
20-02-12, 05:51 PM
cant see how you could get oil into the system with only changing the cam belt though

basilmk1
20-02-12, 05:59 PM
Hi mate, silly question but have you got the pump timing right? Only takes half a tooth to tooth to upset them pumps

bazil
20-02-12, 06:53 PM
Take the tension of the belt, realign the marks and refit the belt mate, if it ran before it should run again

sport
20-02-12, 08:13 PM
Axe axe axe axe axe lol

Jeff16v
20-02-12, 08:32 PM
Axe axe axe axe axe lol

Lol, shouldn't take long to kill a combo!

staggy_gsi
20-02-12, 10:21 PM
you've only got the timing wrong mate, no need to scrap the thing lol

as said above, check the marks line up where they should and that any pins slot in freely etc. if not, whip the belt off again, re-align the gears and try again!

burgo
20-02-12, 10:25 PM
i would say he got the timing wrong then towed it and in the process ****ed it judging by the blue smoke lol

marc69
20-02-12, 10:28 PM
im a bit hard up on the money front at the moment so thought id save a few quid by fitting a fresh cambelt on my vauxhall combo myself, bad idea! After putting the whole thing back together, it wont start for ****, and even after towing it round the block, it only pours out blue smoke, id say im a grade a **** and ive ****ed it. I ****ing hate vans/cars and everything else that takes fuel. Going to weigh the heat of ****ing **** in, 2k down the drain! Happy ****ing days...

deep deep breath

staggy_gsi
20-02-12, 10:30 PM
i would say he got the timing wrong then towed it and in the process ****ed it judging by the blue smoke lol

ohh...yeah didnt click about the towing part!! worth a look though, might be lucky and only got the pump timing wrong...

Lewis.
20-02-12, 10:32 PM

This
If it doesn't go with the key, that's your cue to double check the timing again, not drag the poor beast around on it's knees until it's dead lol

Connor
20-02-12, 10:36 PM
I remember when my mates cambelt snapped on his mk2 golf randomly, we thought it was his carb and starter playing up again, so we proceeded to tow/try and bump start it for a good 10 mins, until we realised that the belt had snapped. Foobared the engine lol!

burgo
20-02-12, 10:39 PM
I remember when my mates cambelt snapped on his mk2 golf randomly, we thought it was his carb and starter playing up again, so we proceeded to tow/try and bump start it for a good 10 mins, until we realised that the belt had snapped. Foobared the engine lol!

if that was a nova it wouldnt have ;)

davidfox280585
20-02-12, 10:49 PM
ive told you on your other thread,
i always start them with the 0s mount off before i build them back up,

whip it to bits put the crank to time,
lock the pump with the 13mm head bolt
lock the cam with 10mm head bolt

if its out adjust to suit and stop being a bell just crack on,ive done loads of cavs,novas astras combos they really are easy mate dont get disheartened

Connor
20-02-12, 11:00 PM
if that was a nova it wouldnt have ;)

yea I know you gotta love the ol' non-interference engines, i was speaking to a lad who had an old 1.2 daily, and his cambelt snapped on him on the m1, he just pulled over on the hard shoulder, used a little ratchet to time the bottom end and cam up, levered the belt back on, slipped the aux belt back on, and carried on his journey lol.
Cant say you could do that with many cars on the road :thumb: