PDA

View Full Version : Need an experts advice, digi dash, 16v brakes, pillar covers

alanPARP
21-07-03, 01:00 PM
Just about finished my gsi after a year off the road however there are a few problems/questions i need answers for:

1.Does anyone know where i can get carbon look pillar covers to replace the vinyl ones?
2.Is fitting 16v astra or cav brakes (disc,calipers,) just a simple bolt on job or is there some "jiggery pokery" involved?
3.I have installed a digi dash and as far as i know its wired correctly but when i turn the ignition all that happens is the parking light comes on and the left half of it is lit up. Other than that it doesnt respond to and of the indicators, headlights, oil, etc. Is if fucked or is it my fault?

Sorry to be so demanding guys
Later

Dicko
21-07-03, 01:03 PM
brakes are a simply bolt job

get something to apply presure to the brake hoses to reduce fluid loss, lossen the 2 retaining bolt, loosen the 11mm fluid union/hose.
remove the caliper, remove the disc.

fit new disc, fit new calliper with pads in place over the disc, fit the 2 bolts, then fit the hose. undo the lid of fluid tank in engine bay, loosen off the bleed valve on the calliper and wait for the fluidto start coming out then tighten it.

same procedure for the other side, then bleed thr whole car braking system

alanPARP
21-07-03, 01:18 PM
Cheers for that. will get straight onto it. will av the car on the site soon too

Dicko
21-07-03, 01:31 PM
what wheels do you have?

you might have a problem with them fitting if there only 14"

Ballsy
21-07-03, 03:00 PM
the dash must have a bulb out on it, very esy to replace ( only bout 20p from vaux) when u turn the ignition on the dash should do a self test thing where everthing lights up, does it do this??

Ballsy

Pete.T
21-07-03, 11:00 PM
If you have had all the dash apart, check you havent put the plug to the hazard switch in the wrong way round as it will fit upside down aswell. It took me days looking for a bad earth before i found it.

alanPARP
22-07-03, 01:53 PM
OK the car is on 16" speedlines so the brakes will go.

Will try new bulbs but im getting a little worried that the whole thing might be fooked cos it didnt do any self checking at all. How long does this checking sequence go on for? what exactly should i be looking for?

And no i havent put the hazard switch in upside down!

cheers again for the help guys

Ballsy
22-07-03, 02:26 PM
the checking thing only lasts for a few seconds, all that happens is that all the dash lights up, eg the rev counter goes up, as does the petrol gauge etc, the mph goes to 150 or somthing then changes to kph somthing liek 288!!! u cant really miss it m8, it will most likey just be a bulb out for one side not lighting up!!!

Ballsy