PDA

View Full Version : Rev counter

devonskippy
14-02-12, 01:26 PM
The rev counter on my sr isn't working.

Have replaced the coil and checked that the green wire is connected and it is sending voltage down it so it must be reaching the dials.

However there is no movement form the needle at all.

Is this likely to be repairable? If so, where would i go to find a suitable electrician?!

Cheers

andyredtop83
14-02-12, 05:13 PM
If its a mark 1 sr the rev counter wire is seperate to the rest of the cables so could have come off the terminal on the back of the clocks. If you pull the clocks forward you should be able to see if its still on there. You may have to feed some of the speedo cable through the bulk head to make it easier. If its a mark 2 sr the rev counter cable is part of the main plug that fits in the back of the clocks so is probably still connected if everything else is working. You might just need another rev counter, you can replace this on its own so you wouldnt need another speedo or anything.

devonskippy
15-02-12, 08:38 AM
It's a mark 1. I've checked the green wire is connected on the back and it is.

Where can i get a replacement rev counter, i've only seen the complete units available?

andyredtop83
15-02-12, 06:53 PM
You could put a post in the wanted section for one. Im not 100% sure you need one but i dont no what else it could be.

windfreek
15-02-12, 11:06 PM
you should have 3 screw threads with nuts holding the gauge in and one will have the spade connector for your green wire, for the time being ignore this one and test the other two for voltage, the lowest one of the three should be +ve, its also worth mentioning that you shouldnt get a constant voltage on your green wire, if you have a fancy multimeter, set it to Hz ground the black test wire and connect the red test wire to the green, at full throttle the HZ should display around 233hz and at idol you should have about 33-35hz, failing that try setting the meter to AC as low as it can go, you should see a value to RPM change there also. if you are then your dial is goosed, if your not then the green wire isnt connected at the other end,

Finally another way to test the dial is to disconnect the green lead, make up a short wire that you will connect one end to the bottom screw of the rpm gauge for a 12v+ feed and stroke the other end of the wire up and down over the thread of the screw that holds the green wire spade in place, (or tap it really fast) if this works then youve not connected the green wire up correctly at the other end