PDA

View Full Version : advice on 2nd hand motor

bigstevie
12-02-12, 04:50 PM
looking for some info. im buying a car this week that has a private reg on it. the owner is going through the process of retaining the plate. hes allowing me to drive the car with this plate until its sorted out. my problem is if i insure it but hes still registered keeper, will this cause any problems?:confused:
also at end of month the tax runs out so if its not sorted out and i tax it, it will has the private number on tax disc. can this be changed once the old plates go bak on??? any info helpful cheers:thumb:

novasrikev
12-02-12, 04:55 PM
the registered keeper part is crap look on the new log books it says that it is not proof of ownership
so tell the insurance that
i think that you might have to go to a main tax office to retax it once you have the old reg back on

Spudly
12-02-12, 05:00 PM
If he sends off the paperwork in your name, you should get a certificate through telling you the transfer of reg has gone through, you will then be able to get reg plates with the new/orginal reg made up and you should also get a new tax disc issued with the new/correct reg on.

My advice would be to hang on till the transfer/retention has passed through and the car is on the new/original plate and then pick it up, it shouldnt take too long if the process has already started, i did mine at a local office and had the plates and disc from my old car still (it was written off) so i swapped them in the car park, rung my insurers and told them of the new reg number and drove home, got a certificate through the post about two weeks later telling me the transfer had gone through and i could now change the plates and dics, ooopsie lol