PDA

View Full Version : rewiring a nova

AndrewJenkins
12-02-12, 01:40 PM
thinking about doing a rewire on the nova starting with the interior anyone done this trying to work out how many metres of cable i need ill be ordering all different colours but anyone point me in the right direction of how much to order?

cheers andrew

AndrewJenkins
12-02-12, 01:41 PM
and also weres the best place to buy it in bulk?

mowgli
12-02-12, 02:03 PM
what level of wiring are you talking?? does the car have a full interior? is it road legal etc?? what engine?mk1 or mk2 ?? etc

i'm a bit worried about your questions, as there are loads of vehicle wiring product companies out there, and if you are rewiring a car, you will have the car sat there to measure. its all down to what you want to do.. would stripping out a scrap car be a cheaper/easier option...?

MK999
12-02-12, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't touch it unless you have a good idea of the wire cross section requirements for different amperages, good crimping equipment and a good basis in how to wire in various relays etc.

To make a new loom for a track car I was looking at about 2-300ish at least.

AndrewJenkins
12-02-12, 02:33 PM
sorry yeah bit vage its mk2 full interior and road legal sri interior with lights for the sunvisors and ill be doing it properly and yeah wirings no problem im conffident with all the wiring etc thats no problem just trying to work out what sorts of lengths to be buying it and ive had enough of my loom as some ones been heavy handed with scotch locks etc etc so want to start it again from scratch but want to do it over a few days as its my daily so want all the wire there ready and all adapters and plugs etc etc just wondered if anyone else has done it and can give me a point in the right direction

MK999
12-02-12, 02:36 PM
To my knowledge no one has actually done something like that in full, your best bet is to work out what wire you need by measuring up, then times it by 1.5 because for some reason wire always seems to magically shrink loads when you actually put it in.

When a fully qualified professional electrician wired our garage lights in, we got a 50m reel of 3 core as it was either 30 or 50 and we made the length required 32m, so got extra... we ended up with about a metre left over lol

AndrewJenkins
12-02-12, 02:46 PM
i know what you mean im guestimating atm at about 10 metres per colour but will probably get 20 lol and 11 colours i reckon it will be about 150 quids worth or wire and accessories (plugs grommets) and the trunking but when you get to 20 metres its its about a pound in it to get 50metre drums and being a mechanic and like to fiddle with cars i see me ending up with about 15 50 metre drums lol and a few boxes of accessories lmao

MK999
12-02-12, 02:49 PM
cheapest way is to do it all in one colour with some sort of tagging system on each end, don't forget the crimping tools to go back into standard plugs, they're about £100 alone.

AndrewJenkins
12-02-12, 02:58 PM
i wouldnt ever even think about doing it in the same colour as any electrical fault becomes a bloody head ache ill be doing it in my own colours and taking the time to route it all properly and sit and draw my own wiring diagrams lol

and which tool you on about?