PDA

View Full Version : how much revving will damage a good engine?

marc69
08-02-12, 10:04 PM
The peirberg 2e2 on my 1.3 sr really gives a big boost to the car when the 2nd barrel opens at 4000rpm.

The engine is in good nick and I never rev it when it is cold however......everytime I drive it I say to myself I won't rev it but, every time there is another car at a round about on dual carraigeway, I can't help myself. 4000 to 5500 rpm is ace.

The question is, will me doing this a lot damage/prematurely wear out the engine?
Or, would I do more harm if I drove like my mother (change gear at 1200rpm to "save fuel"..as the big ends knock!)

Obviously I should just grow up

Lewis.
08-02-12, 10:07 PM
if the engine is mechanically sound it should be fine, they are designed for it after all

oh, and NEVER grow up lol

burgo
08-02-12, 10:08 PM
it wont damage it to the extent you notice the difference on the life of the car, 7.5k from cold appears to make them smoke a little though lol

L14MNP
08-02-12, 10:20 PM
It will be fine, but you do sound like a prick on the road. 'Racing' everything! lol

marc69
08-02-12, 10:24 PM
It will be fine, but you do sound like a prick on the road. 'Racing' everything! lol

Thanks!
Not racing on the road, but everyone assumes an old nova is slow....so it is irresistable just to take off, all safely of course. I don't go over the speed limit, just reach it quickly!

marc69
08-02-12, 10:29 PM
And incidently, this car originally came from Sunderland (well after zaragoza that is)

L14MNP
08-02-12, 10:38 PM
lol Cool mate, I was just being tongue in cheek btw!

Sunderland - that means it's a winner! ;)

marc69
08-02-12, 10:42 PM
No worries,I assumed it was cheeky, I am totally sarcastic all the time anyway.

I lived in sunderland a good 13 years ago, 7 attempts to nick my then Nova in 9 mnths...even caught the guy with the lock in his hand once.

The scottish accent is very effective when swearing, he left a pool of brown as he ran off!

I did like sunderland though, very friendly and nice place.

I still have friends there.

L14MNP
08-02-12, 10:46 PM
I live between Sunderland and Durham, so don't have to deal with the miscreants that populate certain areas fortunatley! Agreed though, good salt of the earth people.

lol @ accent. Very handy! What did you shout? I imagine "Hey ye fookin bawbag ye pecked thay wrong motor tae come fae!" Or something like that. lol

BRoadGhost
08-02-12, 10:47 PM
The only thing that causes damage when it comes to RPM (assuming everything is lubricated and at the correct temperature) is vibration and ultimately the (lack of) tensile strength the internals vs the mass. I suppose it should be viewed in 2 pieces; head & block. Any single upgrade from standard components will make things more durable.

That is to say just balancing the crank with the clutch on it will grant you greater longevity at the same RPM or a higher RPM for the same duration as an unbalanced setup. Go further by knife edging it & adding up rated bolts with some sort of main cap brace for even better performance / durability. You could bin the cast crank & use a steel billet replacement which not only weighs less but has far more strength. The same could be said about the con rods, head bolts etc; anything under stress that can be made lighter or stronger will add the above mentioned :)

marc69
08-02-12, 10:51 PM
I live between Sunderland and Durham, so don't have to deal with the miscreants that populate certain areas fortunatley! Agreed though, good salt of the earth people.

lol @ accent. Very handy! What did you shout? I imagine "Hey ye fookin bawbag ye pecked thay wrong motor tae come fae!" Or something like that. lol

No, that's Glasgow! I probably said something like "ya effing cun get to feck from there before I beat your fecking balls to bits"

My usual call to folk!

out of nosiness, where abouts between sunderland and durham? I knwo a fair bit of the area, have friends I sometimes visit in Stanley

Jedro
10-02-12, 11:12 PM
Thanks!
don't go over the speed limit, just reach it quickly!

i actually got pulled for this ^^ by what i thought was your average white ford tranny van sitting up my backside that turned out to be police :/

phazer
10-02-12, 11:39 PM
A collegue of mine got stopped for 'excessive acceleration' a while back. I don't think there is a specific offence as he did argue but didn't get a ticket or any more than a 'take it easy' warning.

Bubba
11-02-12, 12:10 AM
my 1300 rev needle was pointing at 6 o clock...if it goes that high i think 5k is fine lol

a good beating probably does it good now n then,

L14MNP
11-02-12, 02:48 AM
No, that's Glasgow! I probably said something like "ya effing cun get to feck from there before I beat your fecking balls to bits"

My usual call to folk!

out of nosiness, where abouts between sunderland and durham? I knwo a fair bit of the area, have friends I sometimes visit in Stanley

Never thought to check your location mate, just assumed you would be Glasgow or Edinburgh. Apologies. lol

I'm in Houghton-le-Spring fella. Know it?

Calamity Josh
11-02-12, 07:36 AM
with the grassing for instance i had a 12nz engine rebuilt for my racing car. it did two seasons averaging about 16 meatings a year with around 5 races... you sit on the limiter on the line, drop the clutch in first, basically straight into second and hit the limiter at the end of the straight- every straight after that, when we stripped down the engine this winter it still looked like new after revving alot at the standard 12nz rpm the only thing that really needed doing was the number 1 valve stem oil seal but we did everything as a precaution, the first time it was rebuilt it had new pistons, rods, valves, cam e.t.c... hope this helps

marc69
11-02-12, 10:31 AM
Never thought to check your location mate, just assumed you would be Glasgow or Edinburgh. Apologies. lol

I'm in Houghton-le-Spring fella. Know it?

Yes i rememebr houghton-le-spring, nice and quiet (or it was years ago anyway). Don't worry about the comment re accents/dialect, when I go south of the border everyone assumes I am going to say "auch aye the nooo"! I was just being awkward, I'm good at that.

pie
11-02-12, 10:33 AM
dont hurt to rev it on buddy :)

live life in the red lol

marc69
11-02-12, 10:38 AM
This has brought some interesting responses, love the fact that police pull people for excessive acceleration although, in a 1.3 I doubt I will be in that category no matter how hard I try.

It seems that no-one really has had trouble just from revving in a sensible way (I have damaged engines in the past from going way past the red line and having twice broken vavles won't be doing that again)

There are some great technical advices on how to ensure the engine is more set up for this but, I want to keep the car standard, most driving is very sedate and to keep the feel of the 1.3, it is just on the open road at times get the 2nd barrel to open.....I just can't resist.

Jedro
11-02-12, 10:52 AM
A collegue of mine got stopped for 'excessive acceleration' a while back. I don't think there is a specific offence as he did argue but didn't get a ticket or any more than a 'take it easy' warning.

^ exactly what happened to me yet it was the police that were up my backside, chewing the hairs on the back of my neck, that were encouraging me to shoot off.
said "iv pulled you cos the way you shot off" i said "theres no law against getting upto the speed limit, i didnt wheel spin of anything" claimed he though the car was stolen the way i shot off haha

garyc
11-02-12, 01:37 PM
on a 1300 you will likely jack up the lifters before you do any damage.

waggygsi
11-02-12, 01:42 PM
my rev counter dosent work on my nova cos a dont ken how tae wire it to the coil bt mines rev like mad never pushed it till its bounced on the red as am feart it goes boom lol

burgo
11-02-12, 08:10 PM
my rev counter dosent work on my nova cos a dont ken how tae wire it to the coil bt mines rev like mad never pushed it till its bounced on the red as am feart it goes boom lol

English please

Bubba
12-02-12, 11:46 PM

English please

My rev counter doesnt work on my nova because i dont *cough* know how to wire it to the coil, british telecoms, mines (skyline?) revs like mad, never pushed it till its bounced on the red, as im feart (a fear fart?) will go boom (creating poopy mess)

waggygsi
13-02-12, 09:55 AM
well dont leave your day job to be a comedian:thumb:

faker
13-02-12, 10:07 AM
My rev counter doesnt work on my nova because i dont *cough* know how to wire it to the coil, british telecoms, mines (skyline?) revs like mad, never pushed it till its bounced on the red, as im feart (a fear fart?) will go boom (creating poopy mess)

LOL LL!!!

Audio of mine bouncing the valves while flat in 4th!!
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/tyreface/th_014.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/tyreface/?action=view&current=014.mp4)

Bubba
13-02-12, 12:50 PM
well dont leave your day job to be a comedian:thumb:

haha don't worry I don't plan too.

waggygsi
13-02-12, 09:05 PM
haha don't worry I don't plan too.

you will be fine then:thumb:

Matt2107
13-02-12, 11:58 PM

Wiring in a rev counter is a piece of piss.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/revcounter1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/revcounter2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/revcounter3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/revcounter4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/revcounter5-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/revcounter6.jpg

waggygsi
14-02-12, 11:57 AM
whats the thing in the third pic down m8

mowgli
14-02-12, 12:31 PM
I personally caned a rebuilt small block in the late 80's/early 90s for aapprox 90000 miles & then took it out cos i got my e16se...
Its caning a worn out engine that kills them

Matt2107
14-02-12, 12:52 PM
whats the thing in the third pic down m8

I think that's a dash clock taken apart to butcher for the tag... although in the end I think I used one off something else.
I'm sure I did a guide at the time with words to go with the pic. :-D