PDA

View Full Version : Does realy give more power ?

novadave24
08-02-12, 04:02 PM
Does exhaust rap realy give you bit more power i cant see how a bit off rapping around the exhaust would give you power lol

joshy
08-02-12, 04:10 PM
In cirtain Circumstances it can like turbocharging with long primaries.

As the exhaust air cools it contracts, If you can keep the exhaust as hot as possible then it will ocupy a larger volume and will help spool a turbocharger slightly faster.

In N/A engines it can keep under bonnet temp's in check and avoid heating the inlet charge as much

Ceramic coatings and other thermal barriers are much better as they dont create hot spots on tubular manifolds leading to warping and cracking

mk1nova_rich
08-02-12, 04:52 PM
If you wrapped your exhaust manifold then no you probably won't notice the difference...but in competition applications where the heat build up is much higher for longer periods of time then reducing the underbonnet temps can be very beneficial. Im not overly clued up about it but I'm also led to believe there are advantages to be gained from where the exhaust gases start to cool

Southie
08-02-12, 05:00 PM
Have a quick read of this it will describe the basics of it really. WARMME
(http://www.cartuningtips.com/108-the-benefits-of-exhaust-wraps)

novadave24
08-02-12, 05:04 PM
ok cause i diddent know if it was just worth doing

Dayle_
08-02-12, 05:58 PM
I read for every metre of wrap you can get on your manifold it will release something like 1bhp!!!

bazil
08-02-12, 06:05 PM
I was looking at getting the inside of the exhaust valve ports ceramic coated when turboing the 1.6 8v also get the manifold and possabily the turbine housing aswell then wrap the downpipe,

Jedro
08-02-12, 07:30 PM
when i bought the 4.1 for the 16xe the lad delivered it and our lass said "what the f*** you buying that for, its wrapped up in bandages!" hahaha
i took it off, dont see much point in it personally

Stuart
08-02-12, 09:00 PM
I short no 'gain', but as the engine and bay heats up you will lose less than if it was unwrapped.

Will F
09-02-12, 11:44 AM
I read for every metre of wrap you can get on your manifold it will release something like 1bhp!!!

lol what a load of tosh - there are SOOOO many variables to consider (length and diameter of primaries, ambient temp, EGT temp, whether its N/A or turbo etc etc) that just cannot be even slightly proven!! lol

Pistol Pete
09-02-12, 02:41 PM
lol i wrapped my XE manifold to cover up the dodgy paint!!!

Dayle_
09-02-12, 08:12 PM
lol what a load of tosh - there are SOOOO many variables to consider (length and diameter of primaries, ambient temp, EGT temp, whether its N/A or turbo etc etc) that just cannot be even slightly proven!! lol

I really hope you didn't think I was being serious!!!! :-D

Southie
09-02-12, 08:20 PM
Dayle next time use >>>> lol :p

Dayle_
09-02-12, 08:33 PM
lol better Southie >>>> just for you lollollollollollollol

Southie
09-02-12, 08:57 PM
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/Smilie%20GIFs%20pt2/bondage.gif