PDA

View Full Version : Career Change advice?

Nobby
05-02-12, 10:16 PM
Hi guys well heres my story, did my NVQ L2 and L3 in mechanics worked at 1 place got made redundant so worked at an engine rebuilders which was poo and now i work as a Tech at Stratstone Jaguar. Im doing my level 3 ATA atm and have 3 more 4 days courses to do then a final day of 6 exams, and ive got my MOT course booked for 20th Feb and will hopefully take my test within 2 weeks of the course. At work we have a new manager and tbh the place is a fuking nightmare everyones down in the dumps and its just **** really however i love the people i work with because we have a laugh. Weve just took a new Tech on so hes got all the **** jobs like clutchs brakes suspension work etc etc so im starting to get the more intense diagnosis work but will take me a while before im over competent with wiring etc over the basics!

........ Now ive applied for a job through a recruitment company called Manpower for the line work at Land Rover. Its starting on 22k (im on 18k at Jag and Master Tech are on 22-24k i think) with shift alowance and if i do nights its £15 an hour and saturdays are £17 and sundays are £20. Ive spoke to a mate who works there and says its demanding but basically just plugging things in and fitting panels (arch liners etc). The job is temporary as far as i can see until you have completed your NVQ that they put you on then Land Rover employ you (this is unconfirmed just what my mates said), the shifts are apparently 2 weeks days and 2 weeks nights. What would you guys do in my shoes? Stay where you are and just carry on doing the same as usual with the added MOT testing or go totally different for more money better pension, holidays etc etc but more travelling to get there its 29miles to land rover and 12miles to where i work now.

Any help appreciated guys!

autoworksnovasport
05-02-12, 10:27 PM
better the devil you know

pottersrebel
05-02-12, 10:42 PM
only you can answer that one mate you will probably already know wat u want to do so just do it and hopefully it all works out if not then thats just life

MK999
05-02-12, 10:56 PM
switching between days and nights would completely screw my sleep patterns, dunno about you.

Stuart
05-02-12, 11:00 PM
Can you contact LR HR direct and see if you can get a better starting salary? Agencies obviously take a massive cut and don't always pass on the full salary options to you ;) They are scaumbags.

bazil
05-02-12, 11:06 PM
switching between days and nights would completely screw my sleep patterns, dunno about you.

I've done 2 week rotation for 3 years now, it doesn't bother me but its not for everyone I guess,

OT
I wouldn't leave a full time job to go and work on a temp contract for an agency,

blue_peg_16v
05-02-12, 11:20 PM
Tbf I'd stay put your on a permanent contract at the minute with a load of useful stuff coming in soon like the mot testing etc, don't forget an agency can get rid of you virtually straight away, think I would stay at present job and keep looking around to find something else and move on when a permanent job is offered.

ocdstigy
06-02-12, 12:03 AM
Don't do it,my mate had a perfectly good job as a joiner,he was told about some agency promising work all over the UK,now he is unemployed,skint and not very happy! Agencies are pricks,your current job dosnt sound so bad,im sure if it was you would just leave.

Matt2107
06-02-12, 06:48 PM
I have a friend who works at landrover.

Mike
06-02-12, 06:55 PM
I work with a bloke who used to work on the line for Jag putting the leather on the seats. He told me the money was good but the job was boring as fcuk doing exactly the same thing about a bazillion times a day and being as he was working on the track he couldnt just "stroll off" for a skive/smoke etc

Stuart
07-02-12, 08:15 AM
tbh working on the line is somewhat soul destroying unless you have a mindset that can cope.

It docent sound like 'normal' agency work that most of you would know of, its more the agent finds people for a fee (and decking mental one!!!) and saves JLR's HR from doing any real work lol. Its most likely a permy job but starting a bit lower than if you went direct (if they will let you).
Defender line is fun as no two cars are the same with the comedy tolerances and hammering :D plus till the end of the year you get to handle work I did 4 years ago lol

Nobby
07-02-12, 07:58 PM
Ye the Job starting with Land Rover is 29k the recruitment company pays 22k!

However after going for the initial assesment i had a phone call today asking me to go back for the second interview but i turned it down its good money but i want my MOT license and my ATA L3 then once i have got those ill have acess the situation and see what happens from there!

TeddyThom
07-02-12, 08:55 PM
Can you contact LR HR direct and see if you can get a better starting salary? Agencies obviously take a massive cut and don't always pass on the full salary options to you ;) They are scaumbags.
Things are now changing so agency workers will be on the same pay as employed workers (if that bit makes sense lol)

I'd see if I can get my MOT course etc under my belt, that way it's something to add to the resume/CV. Then grab the other job. Not sure if that will be possible due to time constraints for you, but see if you grab all the qualifications possible. Will make said CV look good...

But ultimately the choice is yours.

Edd
07-02-12, 09:12 PM
Yep the cretins in brussels have made it law that agency workers doing the same job as full time workers get paid the same

All the Polish at my work think its awesome, gone from £8 ph to £16.50 ph

dc1984
07-02-12, 10:43 PM
I would wait till you get your MOT cert and look at opening your own place mate.

David.

Stuart
08-02-12, 02:00 PM
IF thats the case with 'agency' work (note contracting is NOT the same as agency) then I can see lots of people being made jobless because the Agency will be taking at least 30% more than that hourly rate, so companies will ditch them all ASAP and recruit without failed estate agents lol

mowgli
08-02-12, 02:20 PM
i've been looking at the jobs market locally, & its all agencies chasing the same placements, and the jobsites are massively over advertising.