PDA

View Full Version : not a nova lump but still a vauxhall

crash_ndie
05-02-12, 10:25 AM
hi tryed few astra an zaf sites but no joy ive had to get a daddy car :( its got a limp z18ex block in it the mrs dont want me to change it to a zlet coz of the insurance for her grrrr.

ive a x20xev from a vectra sat here am wanting to drag as much power out of the 1.8 with out changing the lump its self can i use the head of the 2.0 (dont think i can as the 1.8 is small block and 2.0 is a big block) can i use cams ? injectors ? throttle body? if not what can i do with this bag of crap to make it pull and actualy move ? i miss me nova :mad:

autoworksnovasport
05-02-12, 10:42 AM
mr google says not allot but im sure there must be somthing you can do with the newer stuff cat back cams remap???

tom reid
05-02-12, 12:30 PM
Get it on carbs and aftermarket ign for a start

crash_ndie
05-02-12, 05:16 PM
defo fitting boddies on it cant be worse than the mpg i get now 26 mpg combined ! was thinking more along the engine mods to suite the bodys:)

peester
05-02-12, 05:39 PM
crickey lol.. So you have a zafira family car with a z18xe? and you want to fit carbs/itbs??
Firstly unfortunately, no big block parts will fit the small block you have. As you said.
No point doing so anyway: The small block you have at 125bhp would be pretty much as quick as the 136bhp x20xev big block anyway.

I would just get a nova as a second car, classic insurance etc etc. stick the x20xev in that..

It'll cost too much to get the car you have running on carbs/itb's, properly.. - with its fly-by throttle std ecu setup.
If you want more out of the z18xe ive seen loads of threads on aoc and corsa-c forums , but again as usual won't be cheap.
Wouldnt a 2.2 Zafira/Astra have been about the same money to buy in the first place..? (145bhp)

crash_ndie
05-02-12, 07:37 PM
ive been looking at the 2.2 convertion but the engine ecu shafts box an extra insurance was prity steep an plus the extra weight an hastle for the 20 bhp gain don't really seem woth it. Id love another nova but with the crapy zaf and my work van its more lack of space and 3 taxs insurance wear an tear :( there isnt much info about with tuning a z18. defo going with bodys, management, polish, port, arp bottom end, light ballance, cr box 6 speed would be nice if would fit small block ? wouldnt mind a rally spec 1.8 but no clue to the cams tho and how much could bore it out want torque !!!!!!

Stuart
05-02-12, 07:47 PM
The 2.2 will be a mega fail on fuel consumption too!

I bet declaring the mods that you fancy on a 1.8 would coat the same to insure as a simple let conversion lol
We had a z18 etb in our Astra Sri and it was a moderate rocket.... Ok not a supercar fast but very surprising.

crash_ndie
05-02-12, 09:19 PM
what who declair ? lol i think its more the satisfaction of building your own lump up than just slapping a factory lump in it for the extra bhp. any 1 ideas of what cam an bore out ?

Stuart
05-02-12, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't mention not declaring if I were you.... You'll wind up with a holiday. Also drop the text typing.

Its a small block so 'any' small bock tuning stuff is a start, but you will hit issues with the ECU

crash_ndie
05-02-12, 10:09 PM
i always declaire my mods ardrian flux rules ! i was thinking of an after market managment for the bodys and using a cable pull accelarator, what else would i need to worry about along the lines of a ecu ?

Tom-Tank
05-02-12, 10:47 PM
Z18XEs are good strong engines, I know of a few people with them on ITB's running around 200bhp

peester
06-02-12, 06:17 AM
^ yes, true - as i can vouch for that..
but you just cant say in one sentance; that buying a nova or changing for a bigger engined zafira because of insurance costs being too high - then go to say you can spend ££££'s sticking itb's, management, machining, and a bloody 6 speed gearbox and so on lol.
You be able to buy a lovely nova and modify it plenty, or probably buy a 2.2 zafira and cover the insurance costs (i dont think theyre that bad on fuel) or maybe even a zlet like you mentioned: for less money than tuning the z18xe in that zafira to that degree.

mowgli
06-02-12, 08:05 AM
sell the zafira & buy a turbo diesel one.

crash_ndie
06-02-12, 08:56 AM
peester your probably right but this will be a slowish build ill get a 1.8 lump to build up, so i can still use the car for time being and swap them over in summer when its not snowing and light till late on. As for the money side i can spread the build over months rather than one lump sum to buy a zlet plus id enjoy it more to... i dont know prob easyer an cheaper for the 2.2 or zlet but think am going to stick with the 1.8 build just to see what i can squeeze out of it :)

mk1nova_rich
06-02-12, 09:06 AM
It will still handle like a bag of **** though

crash_ndie
06-02-12, 09:16 AM
^^^^ that is to true^^^^

Stuart
06-02-12, 11:03 AM
Also why would you 'want' to mod the **** off a family wagon?!?!?!? I'm guessing the point of the mrs telling you to get one is that she wants a semi quiet, comfortable(ish) family car that isn't a pain in the ass to drive/be in.

Odds on it would actually be better value to buy a CAT D Zaffy VXR and fix the bodywork lol

Tom-Tank
06-02-12, 11:23 AM
Also why would you 'want' to mod the **** off a family wagon?!?!?!? I'm guessing the point of the mrs telling you to get one is that she wants a semi quiet, comfortable(ish) family car that isn't a pain in the ass to drive/be in.

Odds on it would actually be better value to buy a CAT D Zaffy VXR and fix the bodywork lol

Couldnt agree more, theres one on Copart right now, needs new front bumper and repair to Drivers door for less than 3k and the repairs would be £1000 roughly

crash_ndie
06-02-12, 02:24 PM
mate i couldnt agree more with you i just dont have 3k to go and buy it and yes the mrs says am too old for a boy racer car now so its got to be a daddy wagon. defo sticking with the 1.8 shed tho just need to no whats the best way to mod it

Stuart
06-02-12, 02:57 PM
I'd never put ITB's or any ropey old carb **** on a car my family uses...
Seriously, I'd just leave that alone and get a cheap MK4 astra (they are piss cheap now) and spend the time/cash on that instead and only get it on the road when you want, and if it breaks down then its just you stranded somewhere and not the family.

John
06-02-12, 04:50 PM
Or just sell it and buy a zafira a gsi. Can be had reasonably cheap now. I once had one and loved it tbf, it handled well, it shares the same chassis as the Astra g.