PDA

View Full Version : Universal cooling fans, wiring?

Spudly
02-02-12, 08:02 PM
Hey peeps, as some of you mightve seen in my wip thread, ive just picked up a pair of 10" universal fans for the nova, on the gaybay ad it states you can have them run both ways to push/pull air through the rad.

Im wanting to mount them on the outside of the rad, im thinking they should be pushing air from in front of the car through the rad and into the bay yes?

Also, since there are now two fans and not just one, will i need to do anything on the wiring side of things, i.e. bigger fuse for them as they will draw extra current im thinking, and im thinking just join the two fans together blue/blue black/black and then plug the original feed from the car in according to which way round make them spin the required way?

Sorry if i seem epic dense but ive never done this before and i certainly dont want to risk a thermal incident involving my nova and dodgy wiring:eek:

Benn
02-02-12, 08:27 PM
Yes mount them on the front blowing air at the rad. I'm sure mine are joined together and then connected to the std wiring.

Spudly
02-02-12, 08:29 PM
Cool that takes care of that one, will i need to up the rating of the fuse for the fan then, although i wouldve thought it would already be a 30amp one?

mrT
02-02-12, 09:46 PM
it will work properly if its in the bay and blowing out, it restricts air flow to the rad also what your trying to do is take/blow hot air out the bay not blow it back in, on the outside is just blowing coldish air through your hot rad in cooking under the bonnet, you also only really need one fan tbh

Benn
02-02-12, 10:14 PM
It will work fine both ways.. Mine blow air over the rad (fans are front mounted) that cools the rad down. One the old copper rad the fans would cool the rad enough you could feel it by hand.. Air will blow thru and out the bottom of the car.. No fan on the engine bay side of the rad blows forward though the rad.. As it would be fighting the air when driving..

Mark
02-02-12, 10:26 PM
it will work properly if its in the bay and blowing out, it restricts air flow to the rad also what your trying to do is take/blow hot air out the bay not blow it back in, on the outside is just blowing coldish air through your hot rad in cooking under the bonnet, you also only really need one fan tbh

Sorry, but that had me laughing my tits off....

Spudly
02-02-12, 10:49 PM
I did wonder that as i always thought the inboard fan sucked air through the rad from outside?

Mark
02-02-12, 11:17 PM
I did wonder that as i always thought the inboard fan sucked air through the rad from outside?

Completely correct...

Inboard fans suck air through the rad, outboard fans push the air through the rad. Both 'block' exactly the same area of rad whether inboard or outboard.