PDA

View Full Version : Normal engine temp

devonskippy
02-02-12, 01:36 PM
Having just got back in to Nova ownership, still reminding myself of what is the 'norm' for a Nova.

In particular, the engine temperature stays at top top of the blue, cold section of the gauge when i expected it to be a bit higher. Where should it be?

If it's not normal, then what could be the problem?

Cheers

John
02-02-12, 01:44 PM
Normal should be between 90 and 97 (when the fan kicks in iirc) should be about half way on the gauge, if you don't get out of the blue I'd check the stat :)

Curtoise
02-02-12, 01:59 PM
In my old 1.2 and 1.4 they always struggled to get out of the blue! Now my 1.6 sits at just under halfway.... I would do your thermostat :)

devonskippy
02-02-12, 02:26 PM
If left to idle then it does get warm eventually, got to about half way before i turned it off; still the thermostat?

At what point on the gauge would the fan kick in?

Cheers

Nova_Tek
02-02-12, 05:22 PM
About half way (around bang on or just over) is when the fan will kick in so really it should sit around the end of the first quadrant/beginning of the second quadrant and stay there as you are driving. If it drops while moving along than your stat is stuck open, same if it doesn't get off the blue. If it don't go down at all and climbs up than a chance your pump or other engine issues.

devonskippy
22-02-13, 04:17 PM
What sensor is it that sends the information to the temperature gauge?

Is this linked to the sensor that detects when the radiator fan should start up?

Cheers.

Iain
22-02-13, 04:42 PM
Radiator has a switch in the side which triggers the fan so it's totally separate to the dash.

Sensor for the gauge is on the inlet for smallblock Novas I believe. Look for a solid blue wire with a sort of spade connector.

MK999
22-02-13, 05:07 PM
It's normally the CTS that causes it to sit low, they get covered in corrosion crap and gunk and read low, replace it and it should sit at half again, if not I'd check stat etc. CTS is a couple of quid and 2 minutes to change though!

devonskippy
25-02-13, 10:44 AM
Sorry, what is a CTS (i'm guessing it will be obvious!) and where is it?

MK999
25-02-13, 12:40 PM
Coolant temperature sensor, small block 8v it's on the inlet manifold

edit: when you order it from motor factors they will most likely give you one with a 2 prong plug fixing, throw it back at them and make sure you get something more like:

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/muKYp5_WB9XchkWLzTnTvGA.jpg

Although they're usually brass

meritlover
25-02-13, 02:48 PM
just ignore what the dash gauge reads, its hideously wrong/laggy and differ so much between cars its almost worthless.
if it goes higher than 3/4 scale then stop. either the damage is already done, or you're lucky enough to catch it.

if you sit and watch the gauge in relation to the ECU temp shown on the laptop its hilarious.

What MK says is right enough about them being crudded up. replacement may help as its a cheap option.
if you dont think it works, remove the spade from the sensor and earth it onto the block. The gauge should go topscale within a few seconds.

I wouldnt loose sleep over whether its at the first notch or the second when running.

If you need to test your 'stat, remove it and shove it in a mug of boiling water. it should be open and then close once its cooled down.

MK999
25-02-13, 02:53 PM
Just to add to the stat test, literally pour a well boiled Kettle over the stat, rather than dropping it into the mug.

Water after it's boiled is only ~80c once it's in the cup etc, and a normal cup of strong tea is about 60c... laser thermometers are great fun lol

devonskippy
01-03-13, 09:05 AM
Having gone to order the part, I am told that the sensor for the 1.3 is different and more expenssive than the sensor for any other engine. Does this sound correct?!

Hopefully stat should be OK as was replaced fairly recently.

Cheers.

meritlover
01-03-13, 09:08 AM
sounds bizarre considering the gauges are the same.

MK999
01-03-13, 06:40 PM
Having gone to order the part, I am told that the sensor for the 1.3 is different and more expenssive than the sensor for any other engine. Does this sound correct?!

Hopefully stat should be OK as was replaced fairly recently.

Cheers.

Check it's actually the type I posted, 90% of the time they're trying to sell you a fancy modern 2 pin thing that won't fit.