PDA

View Full Version : testing a digi dash

Lewis.
31-01-12, 07:21 PM
I've got a box sat here with 4 digi dashes in it, and need to find which are ticks and which are arches. I've seen a few for sale where everything is all illuminated, which wires need powering to do this?

Also, what does the tiny red slide switch on top do? slides between 1 and 2?

Ta :thumb:

Spudly
31-01-12, 07:25 PM
Black and brown are your power wires, brown is live iirc, connect them to a battery charger (although it will flash a bit as it pulses) or a spare battery, and the switch on the top changes the amount of pulses the dash reads before it converts it to the speed reading, one will be bang on and one will either half or couble the indicated speed, depending on your chosen transducer:thumb:

Btw this should be in tech section, so ive moved it lol

Lewis.
31-01-12, 07:38 PM
cheers mr spud :) i had a little poke with the power probe at lunchtime bit couldn't work it out. is this the black and brown of the big plug in the middle yes?

so with the switch then, does that mean I can use either transducer and set the clocks to suit? am I correct in thinking there are 2 different transducers for digi dashes? would any other transducers work with these clocks?

oh sorry didn't think of that, i never really start anywhere other than general, muppet and projects lol ta

Spudly
31-01-12, 08:01 PM
There should be three blacks and three browns i think, cant remember off hand if theyre all on the one plug but twist them all together and connect them to a battery charger:thumb:

The urban legend is that they will only work with the original transducer and nothing else, i know for a fact this is rubbish as ive always bought them without (as they go cheaper) then swipe a transducer from an spi nova or corsa in a scrappers (usually about a fiver) and then Robert is your mothers brother:d

Lewis.
31-01-12, 08:03 PM
spud, you have made my evening :) digi dash transducers go for silly money, so that is very handy to know.
rep if i can

Spudly
31-01-12, 08:44 PM
Ive been telling people this for years, every digi dash ive had or fitted to mates nova's has run a nova 1.2 spi transducer:d

Oh and it wasnt very clear in my last post, but you twist all the black wires together and the browns together seperately to test it, you wouldnt just join all of the six wires and i know you wouldnt do that but im sure some puddin would, and then blame me lol

waggygsi
01-02-12, 02:50 PM
how does the transducer remove from the gearbox an any spi tranducer work from a corsa??

Dave.
01-02-12, 05:11 PM
Brown is earth!! Dont connect brown to a lie youll pop the fecking thing lol

All the browns go onto earth, all the black go onto live... no pun intended... providing the bulbs are good they should light up, or if not you may be able to see if their a tick or curve if you shine a torch onto the right hand screen :thumb:

Iain
01-02-12, 06:25 PM
Just to back up the above post, blacks to +ve and browns to earth, Spud sorry but that's bad advice!

waggygsi
01-02-12, 09:31 PM
howd do you remove the transducer tho??

bigstevie
02-02-12, 06:45 PM
if ur selling one of these digi dashes il take one

Spudly
02-02-12, 06:48 PM
Meh I've not looked at a digi dash wiring guide for years and got it the wrong way round, sue me lol

And the transducer screws into the gearbox, undo it with a suitable spanner or a pair of mole grips!

Lewis.
02-02-12, 10:38 PM
I knew the browns were earth anyway, but having tried your way spud, nothing actually happened lol. i found if you earth all the browns and power the blue with a yellow trace it runs a function test win :) unfortunately for me there was only 1 tick, and it had a smashed lense :wall: oh well, arch it is lol

and bigstevie: they aren't mine, I'm buying one from a friend and he gave me the whole box to choose one

Spudly
02-02-12, 10:48 PM
It runs a function test everytime it is powered up, there might be something amiss with your wiring then as connecting the power and earth should power it up and it will perform its self test, thats how i checked mine as i wanted to check the bulbs worked before i went to fit it, so i would know if i needed new halogens or not:thumb:

bigstevie
03-02-12, 08:17 PM
alrite cheers