PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v engine mods

will699
29-01-12, 06:34 PM
im thinking of tunning my 1.6 but im not to sure what these engines respond best to, its also standard at the moment, any tips would be much appreciated :thumb:

martsnova
29-01-12, 07:06 PM
hi it really depends on your budget and if your going down twin carb route or injection?

will699
29-01-12, 07:15 PM
i think it will be put on twin carbs mate and not a rediculas budget as im only 17 and insurance is a killer

tommy8252
29-01-12, 07:25 PM
i think it will be put on twin carbs mate and not a rediculas budget as im only 17 and insurance is a killer

id stick with the injection for the time being then, usual suspects first exhaust, air filter and cam, simple stuff that can be carried over on to the carbs. My current spec is Kent nv062 cam, k&n cone filter and full manifold back powerflow exhaust which sees it to 120 at the wheels. Also fitted to f13 close ratio box so nippy and fun.

Dan
29-01-12, 07:43 PM
The mods for the injected lump tommy said are a good start for a beginner, although the insurance will probably rape you for the privilige so my advice would be to get some experience first then look into tuning in a few years time when it would become a more viable option and you can enjoy it without worrying about every penny.

Also quoting power figures is a dangerous game. I can guaruntee tommy isnt running those figures for those mods. they are great for pub talk or for comparing different mods on the same rollers to see a gain or not, but thats where they belong. Not being nasty but i ran that same spec for a couple of years in the late nineties, then took the same engine to a whole new level throughtout the following 7 or so years with qtr times to match the more respectable power figures to backup the qtr times (not the other way round!) which still meant sod all in all honesty. Many of the older skool will remember

tommy8252
29-01-12, 07:59 PM
^^^^^

No offence taken Dan they're just the figures I got from the rolling road I did. But gives you an idea of possible gains from standard. The more important thing for me at that session was the printout of power delivery not the actual figures :)

will699
29-01-12, 07:59 PM
yeah i was thinking alone the lines of that sort of stuff tommy, i also was thinking would skimming and gas flowing the head make much difference?

im not to worried about my insurance as i have spoken to them and i have a friend with them and they do not increase the price much with engine mods luckly enough

tommy8252
29-01-12, 08:29 PM
Gas flowing and porting work gives good gains to these engines, I wouldn't have thought skimming would be very effective though but I've never looked in to skimming to achieve any gains.

MK999
29-01-12, 08:42 PM
Gasflow and a cam to match is easily the largest gain and best bhp/£ you will get from any engine modification. on an 8v you're looking at about 12-14% gain from a good head. If you go to a big valve spec then even more, really depends on the head though, we recently had a triumph 6 cylinder head in, 2 valve per cylinder, which was tested at about 65% increase! Much larger valves and improving some dire ports.

philip
30-01-12, 09:06 AM
could do a ported head and newman cam to suit if interested matey or in future could supply any part needed too build full race motor if needed.

if only 17 i know alot of people say for the 20xes fit a dif, but depending on what your going to use the car for, suspension, brakes and even maybe a dif may be a good way to go, atleast will makes the car go and stop better atleast, but it does come down to what your insurance company is like for mods/go faster mods.

will699
31-01-12, 05:45 PM
ok thanks alot for the info :D, Philip how much do you charge for ported head and newman cam?

mrT
02-02-12, 09:57 PM
janspeed exhaust gives good gains on the 8v, also a panel filter (k+N) with drilled airbox, P+P head with bigger valves and a cam kit to suit, also you should look to rebuild the bottom end with standerd internals apart from ARP studs and a decent clutch, all the above would give good reliable power if looked after properly

mowgli
03-02-12, 09:30 AM
You are 17, keep it std & learn to use what you have first. A std 1.6 will have plenty of power to play with. As above, get the brakes & suspension up to scratch, and don't worry about more power until your insurance gets way cheaper... Or you'll be paying £100/wk

philip
03-02-12, 10:09 AM
will - empty pm box

will699
04-02-12, 02:09 PM
empty mate

crash_ndie
05-02-12, 10:18 AM
i love the the 1.6 8v a got 183bhp at wheel out off my lump :) you really need to start with suspention, brakes and steering befor you start with the engine. get rear disc set up, decent schocks 2.0l or better brakes change the master and servo unit at the same time i used a corsa set up, fitted it in the same place as the novas will need a bit of a mod but they do fit ! up rate the anti roll bars too. the car will feel faster and take more bhp when you come to tune the lump.

engine wise.. 45 throtle bodies, use a rally hi lift cam dubble spring solid lifters, lighten & balance crank an fly wheel, astley 2" exhaust, arp bottom end, new oil pump!, mbe mangement, decent clutch, head fully ported & polished skimed to its bollics a proper head gasket use a 16v bottom end tho, ally baffled sump, viner pully , you can over bore to a 1640, arp head set too ..... prob few bits ive missed off. but it will go like stink and pull like a train !

mowgli
05-02-12, 10:23 AM
183 at wheels, equates to about 220 at flywheel.... pics, specs etc please.

crash_ndie
05-02-12, 10:27 AM
orange nova with tigar stripe handles (they was on befor i got the car)

mowgli
05-02-12, 02:09 PM
i meant the engine....

peester
05-02-12, 05:50 PM
oh, more crazy power figures. :-(
Best checking where mr will wants to draw a line with the tuning, for this engine. What the max you want to spend on it..?
To get anything over 150bhp its going to be £1000's..
I think 120-130 can be acheived, generally, for £500-£1000.

Only thing i managed to do to mine was a B+ big valve 'head conversion and air box derestriction with a Pipercross element. Rolling roaded at 109bhp/108lbft.
I really wanted to bin the o.e management (or at least totally renew it) ; i just think it was crap and old, caused problems/restrictions.
But decent new managment is about a grand :-(

will699
05-02-12, 07:18 PM
overall prob 500-700 over a period as could not a afford a lump like that in one hit

MK999
05-02-12, 07:23 PM
for 700 I would try and get a cam and headwork, and ignore anything else for that kinda budget, save up though as a cam and headwork ideally will be in one hit.

crash_ndie
05-02-12, 10:01 PM
oooh were to start 8v head: skim polish matched ported 3 angled over sized valves and seats a mental custom ground cam double springed solid lifters arp bolts to studs pully. exhaust: astly full 2" group A. bottom end 1.6 16v : lighten ballanced ground crank over boared to 1640 matched pistons and ring new oil pump (sure it had somthink done to the pressure relife valve on it) new con rods full arp alloy bafled sump. Fuel tank in the spare wheel well swirl pot return pump faset main pump pressure reg valve jenvoy 45's mbe 956 management

cam
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/crash_ndie/Picture016.jpg

engine bay: note the corsa serov unit :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/crash_ndie/23102009058.jpg

fuel
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/crash_ndie/23102009053.jpg

the car how i miss my car:cry:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/crash_ndie/100_0374.jpg

philip
08-02-12, 08:48 AM
cant reply to your pm matey inbox is full:S