PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v engines

benji
19-07-03, 08:23 AM
I was wondering what the differance is between the 1.6 16v engines fitted in the corsa/tigra (x16xe and c16xe) and the one fitted in vectras and astras.

i've had a look on EPC and found that the engine listed for the vectra and astra is x16xel, but i havent got a clue what the difference is, there must be one because i've never heard of one being fitted in a nova, it's always the corsa or tigra engines

Cheers

ben

novax
20-07-03, 08:40 AM
It's the inlet manifold that's different. I'm in the process of fitting a 1.6 from an Astra, we're ditching the manifold and fitting throttle bodies :D The engine itself is the same. The inlet manifold is slightly different and doesn't fit into a Nova.

dathers
21-07-03, 01:37 PM
the best engine is the earlier c16xe,it was only ever fitted to the early corsa gsi's,it can be identified by the black plastic inlet manifold.
The x16xe and x16xel has a metal inlet manifold (xe and xel have different metal manifolds)and both have the EGR valve to reduce emmisions,the egr sytem consists of extra channels in the head to direct the zaust gasses,the x16xe and x16xel also have slightly smaller ports than the c16xe,and the x16xel has a different metal inlet manifold than the x16xe's metal manifold.
both also have an auxilary air injection which helps to warm the cat up to temp quicker.The c16xe doesnt have egr or aux air valve.
The x16xe and x16xel also have built in transponder immobilisers,so if you get one of theese engines you will need the immobiliser box,loom and the chip that goes in the key,unless you are ditching it all for throttle bodies and mappable ecu!
The C16XE is the engine of choice as the head is a much better design and can yeild much better results when tuned,but they are quite rare as they were only fitted to the early corsa gsi's,up to L-reg i think,so there isnt many about,and any that are about are usually high milage,which doesnt actually matter if they have been serviced proper.
The X16XE is the next best,then the X16XEL.
Saying that though,all three engines are superb units and deliver near flat torque curve.
I have a rolling road printout from my X16XE engined corsa gsi(M-reg)which was completely standard apart from a full stainless zaust and drilled airbox with k+n filter,it gave 110bhp at 5833rpm,and 111lbft torque at 400rpm,90%of max torque was available from just over 200rpm,thats 100lbft of torque from 2000rpm,which made for a very quick little car that you didnt need to scream the nuts off to go quick,when you did scream it,it flew!
Crakin engines!!
Dave

Dicko
21-07-03, 01:57 PM
if anybody wants a c16xe head i have a spare....

i also have the entire injection/induction system (*2) off the c16xe

main issure when doing this conversion is that you get an ecu WITHOUT an imobiliser circuit as u will have no end of problms

benji
21-07-03, 09:10 PM
so if i get a x16xel and stick a manzel inlet manifold on it, that would be the same as a x16xe with said inlet manifold?

do all x16xe/xel's come with immobilisers?

cheers

Ben

brian
22-07-03, 01:28 AM
if someone can have a c16xe for sale when im in the uk for trax i'm after one.!

Dicko
22-07-03, 10:12 AM
hi brian,

ivgot a head but not a full engine sorry

JR Nova
22-07-03, 12:38 PM
what driveshafts do people use for this conversion?

Dicko
22-07-03, 12:56 PM
wotever u have on now will do (unless u have a 2l 16v or similar)

JR Nova
22-07-03, 12:59 PM
the driveshafts at moment are only from a 1.2i

been told i should get them from a GSi

Dicko
22-07-03, 01:24 PM
if u want to

wont make any different!!!

just means more hassle changing the hubs aswell to match the shafts

Ben (lurk75)
22-07-03, 08:27 PM
The engine itself is the same. The inlet manifold is slightly different and doesn't fit into a Nova.

Whys that Dave?

I know a few that have fitted the XEL and it has fitted in the nova?

benji
22-07-03, 08:33 PM
how much do these engines go for?
i presume the corsa/tigra engines fetch more than the x16xel