PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a custom speedo cable

chimp007_uk
27-01-12, 01:56 PM
I recently purchased an import MX5, and when they get imported they have to be converted to MPH. Most just have the dials swapped to read MPH, but the odometer still reads KM. Mine has a kph - mph converter fitted. The speedo stopped working, so I've checked the cable thats fine, stripped the converter to find that the short length of cable that goes between the converter and the gearbox has snapped...

I can pick up a seconhand converter for £30, but I don't want the same problem in 6-12months time... The converter I have works fine!

Anyone know where I might be able to get/order a custom made cable? The closer to the West Midlands the better, as I now can't use the car :(

Cheers all

Chris

mowgli
27-01-12, 03:30 PM
surely you can just get a std mph set from a breaker with a uk car..

there is speedy cables (http://www.speedycables.com/contact.html).

chimp007_uk
27-01-12, 03:55 PM
There's several options to convert from KPH to MPH

1, change the dials and sender gear for uk parts.
2, fit a convertor, and then have 180mph clocks (as I currently have), but the odometer and speedo both read miles.
3, put a mph cover on the dials, so they read mph but your odometer is in km.

I'm just looking for the easiest less change/hassle option. There must be places that make speedo cables for such eventualities :)

Mowgli, thanks for the PM theother week! I finally got it sent, £14 i think it was.

Bubba
27-01-12, 06:17 PM
the clock face option sounds the easiest tbh.

brainsnova
27-01-12, 06:29 PM
Use a sat nav :d

Andy
27-01-12, 06:32 PM
Use a sat nav :d
Even though that would suffice,i wouldnt suppose it would be legal/mot worthy lol

blue_peg_16v
27-01-12, 07:04 PM
Speedo isn't checked on mot

chimp007_uk
27-01-12, 08:29 PM
Speedo isn't checked for MOT, however everyone needs a speedo.
The dial is the easiest, but then it puts all the mileage out, as it'll be back to kilometers.
Satnav is an option, but a ball ache and doesnt work straight away!

Going to contact Speedy Cables.