PDA

View Full Version : Tyre machine, air compressor, wheel balancer advice please

dc1984
24-01-12, 08:23 PM
Hi there folks,

I am trying to set up my own business doing tyre fitting, puncture repairs etc.

The thing am not to sure about is what makes are good for tyre machines, air compressors and wheel balancers?

I know I need ones that run off of a 3 phase electrical supply, but what else should I look for?

Is it worth looking at second hand stuff???

Thanks,

David.

Mark
24-01-12, 08:33 PM
I know I need ones that run off of a 3 phase electrical supply

Why?

Lewis.
24-01-12, 08:40 PM
because single phase tyre machines can barely get boss of a wheelbarrow tyre lol

hand spin balancers are perfectly adequate, we have a bahco one at work and it's spot on.
tyre machines, most are good to be honest, If you can afford one with the extra arms to hold beads down it will help you no end when fitting low profile tyres
compressor for operating tyre machines, you'll want at least a 200 litre reciever, and a minimum of 15cfm or else it'll be getting quite wheezey

dc1984
24-01-12, 08:59 PM
because single phase tyre machines can barely get boss of a wheelbarrow tyre lol
Hj
hand spin balancers are perfectly adequate, we have a bahco one at work and it's spot on.H
tyre machines, most are good to be honest, If you can afford one with the extra arms to hold beads down it will help you no end when fitting low profile tyres

compressor for operating tyre machines, you'll want at least a 200 litre reciever, and a minimum of 15cfm or else it'll be getting quite wheezey

Thank you Lewis, that gives me a point to start from:thumb:

David.

16v Nova Kev
24-01-12, 09:02 PM
there is a unit down at my work and they are are all on 240v stuff and works well.

Mark
24-01-12, 09:12 PM

Must be using the wrong stuff then as I know 90% of places around here use 240v stuff, myself included, we have 1 tyre machine and 1 balancer for our own use and we use it to do car wheels from 10 Inch to 22 Inch and also our recovery truck wheels from Mitsubishi Canter to Iveco 65 series and also our Hiab trucks without issue.

there is a unit down at my work and they are are all on 240v stuff and works well.

:thumb:

dc1984
24-01-12, 09:51 PM
Must be using the wrong stuff then as I know 90% of places around here use 240v stuff, myself included, we have 1 tyre machine and 1 balancer for our own use and we use it to do car wheels from 10 Inch to 22 Inch and also our recovery truck wheels from Mitsubishi Canter to Iveco 65 series and also our Hiab trucks without issue.

:thumb:

What makes are your machines mate?
The unit am hoping to get is 3 phase anyway mate

David.

dc1984
24-01-12, 10:05 PM
Anyone used tyre bay direct?

Also, who do you use for new tyres, i asked Viking but you need a minimum spend of 2k a month to keep an account open which seems to be alot for a new business to try and sell

Mark
24-01-12, 10:16 PM
What makes are your machines mate?
The unit am hoping to get is 3 phase anyway mate

David.

I'll check tomorrow for you.

dc1984
24-01-12, 10:19 PM
Cheers Mark

Slabs
24-01-12, 10:54 PM
we used tyre bay for our tyre machine and balancer, 240v, they both work fine. Like Lewis said if you can afford the extra to get the arms it is well worth it for the low profile tyres and runflats which are getting more common.

As for tyre suppliers try Stapletons, Eden Tyres and Oak tyres.
Hope this helps and good luck with the venture

dc1984
26-01-12, 07:10 PM
Thanks mate, met up with a salesman from auto parts earlier, the stuff he was tryin to get me to take a balancer, tyre machine and compressor for just under 7k, ideal if a was made of money but not the best for someone starting a new business.

Slabs
30-01-12, 09:43 PM
7k seems rather steep imo mate, get in touch with tyre bay direct, they will sort you out