PDA

View Full Version : Fail on emissions.

Murray
23-01-12, 09:08 PM
Mine's been in for it's MOT.

Failed on a few points, but biggest one being the emissions. CO2 is too high (4.4 instead of 3.5).

Would it need a good thrashing before or something else at fault? Like a knackered carb or a damn good service. Really don't want to fanny about with the carb settings.

Nova_Tek
23-01-12, 09:11 PM
Carb mixture needs to be adjusted (get it done by a proper mechanic so it gets done properly) - same thing happened with mine yonks ago. Mine was 7.7 though lol - Was single handedly burning holes in the Ozone over London

Murray
23-01-12, 09:20 PM
lol

Need to find someone who's gen'd on carbs. That said the car had been sat for a while, it's first run was to the test station.

thegingerwhinger
23-01-12, 09:25 PM
whats carb are you using?

Murray
23-01-12, 09:30 PM
Just the standard Webber as fitted to the 1.0 engine.

marc69
23-01-12, 10:52 PM
it's easy to set the carb, the haynes manual shows you the mixture screw (little one on the side) you turn it clockwise and anticlock wise until you get the highest, even note. Then turn it half a turn clockwise, that should be the mixture.

Then turn the idle speed screw until you get the correct idle speed.

Obviously this has to be done when the engine is hot.

It is also worth removing the jets, flushing the carb with wd40 and cleaning out the jets. (these are the three brass things on the top)

Nova_Tek
24-01-12, 02:57 PM
Get some carb cleaner down the carb to clean away any gunk. Haynes does explain how to do it but if you want it spot on it's gonna be best to get it on a emissions machine and adjust it that way. I was lucky enough that the MOT guy was able to do it for me and adjusted it properly.

Andy
24-01-12, 03:01 PM
Rather than balls about,just pay to get it done by a proper carb tuner.You try it yourself you will fukk it.

Nova_Tek
24-01-12, 03:25 PM
^ Seconded