PDA

View Full Version : Alarm / immobilisor advice required

devonskippy
23-01-12, 10:50 AM
Having just got back in to Nova ownership after a 6 year break (finally decided company car is not for me and want a Nova again!), the Nova I’ve bought doesn't have any security fitted.

Can anyone give some advice on fitting an alarm and immobiliser?

My insurance doesn't require any to be fitted, so not bothered about it being insurance approved but I would like to still own the car having parked it in a public place! I'm therefore planning to fit something myself.

I'm thinking that motion sensors are needed in addition to the normal door/boot contacts and I’d like an immobiliser too. I've looked at Cobra, Clifford, Toad and Sparkrite and not made a decision. Sparkrite should be easiest to fit but can't find one that has all the above features and the other three are usually professionally fitted (was hoping to save that expense!).

I note that the Toad Ai606 is rated well, but is it easy to install at home rather than paying to have it done?

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers.

brainsnova
23-01-12, 12:22 PM
The toad ai606 is indeed well rated and with any decent alarm quite a lot of wires. If you've got standard CL already then you need to swap the driver door switch wire a 5 wire solenoid. Taking the wiring in stages helps. I wouldn't fit the ultrasonics that come with the ai606 as a shock sensor is more use.

I used to use a sterling pro CL that's part of Toad and had pretty much all the features of the ai606 except only 1 immobiliser circuit and the fob is a bit bog standard.

devonskippy
23-01-12, 01:55 PM
I've not got any central locking (and don't really have any desire to fit it). Just your normal locks etc fitted.

Jack
23-01-12, 02:07 PM
You can still fit an alarm without central locking. Most alarms should be a pretty straightforward fitment, including the more advanced/expensive ones. Nova wiring is pretty simple, but its certainly worth getting a Haynes manual though if you've not already got one - the wiring diagrams will come in very useful.

Any reason why you don't want CL though? Its not much of a job to fit an aftermarket kit.

devonskippy
23-01-12, 04:12 PM
I probably could fit CL, I just assumed it would be difficult to do and not really worth the effort. Is there any systems to reccommend and i'll consider it?!

Still got the Hyanes manual and a few others from my last Nova!

It's a 1988 1.3sr btw.

Iain
23-01-12, 05:54 PM
Nova CL kit can be fitted easily converted to RCL with an aftermarket alarm and second motor in the drivers door (instead of just a solenoid).

Can't go wrong with something like an AI606 really.

devonskippy
24-01-12, 02:30 PM
Any reccomendation or suggestions on where to get a CL kit?

Cheers

Andy
24-01-12, 03:04 PM
If your confident about fitting an alarm,the central locking should be of no worry to you whatsoever.

Nova_Tek
24-01-12, 03:38 PM
CL is pish easy to install... alarms are pretty easy too. Hardest thing is hiding/routing the wires neatly as most good alarm systems have more wiring than the Nova has lol

I've gone for a kill switch immobilisation.

Andy
24-01-12, 03:44 PM
I've gone for a kill switch immobilisation.
Wherabouts have you put it??

lol lol lol

pie
24-01-12, 03:52 PM
^^^ f lol

Nova_Tek
24-01-12, 04:11 PM
Wherabouts have you put it??

lol lol lol

Somewhere very nice! And so I don't forget where it is I've written it on the dash board with arrows pointing to it's direction... oh and the keys for the kill switch I'm porbably gonna leave in the visors (like the American movies) or under the floor mat ;)

devonskippy
30-01-12, 11:09 AM
Having spent some time going over my new purchase this weekend, i've discovered that it does actually already have central locking, which was a bit of a surprise!

I guess that the alarm may be able to be wired in to this to provide remote central locking? If so, are any changes required to the current locking set up or will the alrm just 'plug in' to it?

Cheers