PDA

View Full Version : 40's - hell to live with?

Gunzi
18-07-03, 04:35 PM
I have been tempted many times to get some 2nd hand weber or dellorto 40's with manifol for my gsi but am a bit wary coz I've heard they go out of tune? Do you have to know what to look for when buying them? are there parts that go wrong? Hoow often will they need retuning and how much does this cost?
A long list I know but I don't wanna part with ?? without knowing what I'm getting myself in for
Cheers,
gunzi

MC
18-07-03, 04:49 PM
Hi,

I get more and more annoyed at people saying that 40's go out of tune. I'm affraid its complete bollocks. A weber carb is a mechanical device that once its set, nothing changes. Its the people that own them that need educating. You need to take time to learn about them and understand them.

To run webers, you need to have the correct choke size, 30-32mm on a 1600 will be fine. Then you work out what jets you need. Once bought and fitted these items don't change.

Next you have to balance the carbs. This is simple and takes minutes, and assures that all of the butterflies are in line. Now this is the common place where people go wrong. The balance screw undoes itself and carbsgo out of balance. All you have to do is dab some loctite or nail varnich on the thread when you set it and it'll never change. Even if it does, all you do is get a cheap flow meter and adjust the screw till all the carbs read the same.

The mixture screw is crude and simple, and you can put it on a gas analyser and set it. This doesn't change either. You can even adjust it crudely yourself.

Thats it, dead simple, if you ever here anyone complain about 40's, just think to yourself how stupid and easily beaten they are.

I shall now step off my soap box.

MC

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 04:50 PM
I have been tempted many times to get some 2nd hand weber or dellorto 40's with manifol for my gsi but am a bit wary coz I've heard they go out of tune?

once u get it all set up. stick some loctite on the bolts and it will do you for 12 months or more.

u only really want to tune every 6 months or 12 months if u want best bhp ALL the time. after an inital setup. a simple carb tune and balance is about ?25 30 quid

Do you have to know what to look for when buying them?

they have to be jetted correctly or close enough for your engine else you have to spend ??? on the right jets etc. having said that to get mine jetted right it only set me back ?40 inlcluding new emulasion tubes

are there parts that go wrong?

not in my experience.

Hoow often will they need retuning and how much does this cost?

covered that in first qn. http://www.vmotorsport.fsnet.co.uk/rolling.htm

A long list I know but I don't wanna part with ?? without knowing what I'm getting myself in for
Cheers,
gunzi

youll never look back

and albeit you *may* find u use more petrol, thats cos u end up holding on to the revs longer just to listen to the babies purrrrrrrrrr

Dan
18-07-03, 08:08 PM
Agree with what the others said, my carbs were setup 3 months before pv2003 and not touched sinced and mine hadnt backed off at all. If setup right in the first place then 'shouldnt' have a problem with only the odd checkup as and when.

Another stupid problem that others make for themselves is the throttle cable tightness, When/if you fit a set, always remember that when the throttle pedal is fully to the floor you should still be able to push the linkage on the carbs another small bit. If not then the cable is to tight and will knock the carbs out of balance easier and possibly bend the spindle on them.

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 09:14 PM
possibly bend the spindle on them.

:evil: leading to a rebuild and a recon

tut found out the hardway :x

shell be a minter by next sunday though :D

bottom end going in weds :twisted:

dathers
19-07-03, 04:20 AM
I agree with MC,my old 1.4SR had twin 40's,and once set up correctly it ran like a dream,started first time,idled smoothly and when driven normaly it didnt use loads of petrol,i could still get over 30 mpg,allthough given a heavy right foot for any length of time it could get through an alarming amount of petrol.
Saying that,if you cant afford the fuel bill you shouldnt be driving a tuned car should you!!
Worth it for the noise they make alone!!
Dave

rob.slader
19-07-03, 01:46 PM
I agree totally with above, as MC and other say, as long as you have them set up correctly i.e someone who knows what they ar doing , there shouldn't be a problem. Plus the fuel economy isn't that bad unless you nail it everywhere. 40's tranform the Nova into what it should have been, lots of torque and good throttle response. Do it!

Jules
19-07-03, 08:48 PM
Agree with all the above - It's worth having 40's just for the sound alone, throw all your stereo gear in the skip and just listen to the sweet sounds of those babys when they are opened up and sucking in air by the bucket load!!!

mikeoxford
20-07-03, 12:20 AM
i often drive with the radio off..........

Slatter
20-07-03, 02:57 PM
I dont have a radio !!!! :lol:

Wanted: Set or weber 40 dcoe's ... will swap for set of dellorto dhla's !

Gunzi
22-07-03, 09:18 AM
Cheers for all the advice! Now I just gotta save a bit first then get the beauties

Jim
22-07-03, 01:36 PM
Only one thing to say really....

"Get them"

I love the sound of the 40's, I love the performance, I love opening the engine bay to see them sitting there.

If you want a smooth engine and nice economy then get yourself a diesel. If you're going to mod your engine, then accept the consequences of a lumpy idle, bad fuel consumption and the smell of petrol, lol.

Best mod I did was to get an engine with 40's.

Jim