PDA

View Full Version : Kent or Piper

SKoob
18-07-03, 02:07 PM
Right my car has a really loud follower noise and its sounds a bit like a diesel :? , I am saving up to buy a ast road cam kit, but don't which of these companies are the best. :roll: Which is the best?

Ben

Ben (lurk75)
18-07-03, 02:16 PM
Wichever you can get the best deal on.

Gunzi
18-07-03, 03:53 PM
I got a piper kit and am happy with it added what felt like a decent amount of power look at the degree of rotation it has the bigger the number the wilder the cam (more power / lumpy idleing)
gunzi

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 04:20 PM
dan had a piper cam and it didnt do his engine justice. after recommendation from velos he opted for a kent cam.

just look at his 0-60 and santa pod quater mile times and you will see the swap was well worth it.

mind u he gets through more cams than toilet paper (apparently) :lol:

MC
18-07-03, 05:04 PM
In fairness I don't think Dan's sudden increase in power was his camshaft change. It is undoubtedly a good camshaft, but Dan's ingnition system was Donald Ducked. Both were changed simultaneously, so you couldn't see any improvements from one to the next.

I'd say theres little diff between the two, you just need to decide what characteristics you want.

MC

Snowface
18-07-03, 06:09 PM
what kent cam has dan got? ast2? is it reall that bad at idling this cam? is an ast1 better for general use?

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 07:08 PM
yes dan has got an ast2 (hrm ive just typed that and thought hang on a minute :? ) but yeh id put money on it i think thats right.

and stop being a loony! dont opt for a ast1 ! it really isnt that bad! HONNEST!

Dan
18-07-03, 07:53 PM
during my quest for my ideal setup i have had ;

kent nvo62 (270) cam ..... very good low down power and respectable throughout the range

piper 285..... ermmm had it in for bout 600 miles so cant really comment but seemed ok while ignition side of things was poo poo.

kent ast2 (296).......... I finished with this for 2 reasons, velos recommended it and cp/mc had both run the previous spec cams so i thought i would go one up as a comparison.

The last cam is NOT lumpy in my engine, considering engine has been lightened and balanced etc (not always helpful towards idling). All engines will act differently to the same mods so what goes for one might not for someone elses idea of perfect power.

We can only offer advise per what our engines/experience can say. I have been lucky in the end after 3 yrs of playing around, and found the perfect setup for my car and how i like it, but i have taken some routes that others were unsure about, cos if you dont try you wont know

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 09:16 PM
mind u he gets through more cams than toilet paper (apparently) :lol:

as i said :twisted: allegations are true then dan the man!

Dan
18-07-03, 10:54 PM
lmao yep, tuning is an expensive game when u have a target and want to get to it. as i said no 2 engines are the exact same so what goes for one doesn't always go for the other, hence i went through most things until i reached my goal. alas now i have done this it is upto you guys to continue to better what i have done and someone to better what you do etc etc

mikeoxford
20-07-03, 12:24 AM
you look scarily like the bloke in your avatar :lol: j/k :oops: oops :roll: another drenching :evil:

Slatter
20-07-03, 02:51 PM
Ive got Piper 285 in my engine

Ive had alot of mods done to it including t40's engine isnt setup but u can feel its got a non standard cam in it already

mark_GSi
22-07-03, 07:37 PM
ive got a 272 piper cam and pulls nicely above 3 grand, quite happy with it

SKoob
27-07-03, 09:40 AM
Sorry to bring this back up but, since I rebuilt the head and did the headgasket on my 1.3SR, its always sounded abit like a diesel, my dad told me it was a noisy follower, anyway I was driving home on wednesday from me m8s, and its just seemed to lose power and die. I got it home took the rocker box cover off and saw one had snapped :o Do both these companies do kits that contain these? By chance though there is a 1.3SR at the scrappy near me, If i decide to use the cam from this shud I get the whole cam assembly i.e. followers, rockers, and cam? anything else i've missed that i shud get?

Mark
27-07-03, 09:44 AM
Just swap the complete head!

Aragorn
27-07-03, 08:21 PM
i owuldnt swap the head

the followers in the other head will be just as worn

if your changing the cam u should really replace the followers anyway and some kits provide em

they are about ?10-14 quid EACH from vauxhall and about half that from motorfactors

im sure the cam KITS have these in them and thats why u pay the extra