PDA

View Full Version : Strange sound

Jim
18-07-03, 09:51 AM
In my car I have a 1.6engine on twin 40 carbs...

Last night I started my car and I had a horrible sound coming from the car.

My first thoughts were it wasn't firing on all cylinders, sometimes it takes a little while (especially in winter) for the engine to fire up properly and idle at a decent rate. However, I soon realised the sound seemed to be coming from underneath the car, more so near the manifold from the exhaust to the engine.

It sounded like there was a hole somewhere along here (the noise sounded like a kind of diesel raspy noise :s - imagine you've stuck your tongue out and are blowing raspberrys at someone but add the noise of a diesel engine into that and thats what it sounds like).

When I looked underneath the car I couldn't see any exhaust fumes being blown out from any holes along the exhaust/manifold. Obviously the noise was more apparent when I accelerated. I took it easy on the way home as the noise was pretty loud (louder than the 40's and the performance exhaust put together).

Now the really weird thing is when I drove into work I didn't have this noise. Somehow this noise has developed whilst the car was sat in the car park at work. It was raining during the day, so I thought maybe some water had got into the mechanics somehow, but surely this is immposible?

Could it simply be a case of as I turned the engine over, the movement of the engine has dislodged something?

Any ideas, could it be something worse than a dislodged exhaust?

Cheer in advance

Jim

ade
18-07-03, 11:51 AM
sounds like exhaust manifold. If it affected performance then its prob that. Mine went a while ago and it stated out like a little tapping noise, then a rasping pop then it went and it wounded like a tank!

lost all power above 40 0 sounded like it wqs misfiring.

I'd change the manifold - possible that a little bit split/came loose but heat expansion etc sealed it up (I dunno but you get the idea...)

not that hard to change manifold (never done it but from what i hear) - just make sure both gaskets are totally clean.

Ade