PDA

View Full Version : Can you Turbo chage Twin 40 carbs?

scott.parker
18-01-12, 11:23 PM
Right we all know there is cars that have turbo charged carbs... BUT can you T'Charhge a set of webber Twin 40 carbs on a nova???

If so has any one done it, and whats involved??
Scott

Bubba
18-01-12, 11:31 PM
http://www.dune-buggy.com/turbo/carbureted.htm

that might be worth a read. some basics there

Benn
18-01-12, 11:35 PM
Seen it before i'm sure.. I know you can tbs.

scott.parker
18-01-12, 11:38 PM
So in short no! lol

shed-on-wheels
18-01-12, 11:51 PM
i dont think you can on webbers bud

Bubba
18-01-12, 11:58 PM
Carburetor Type and Size: In most cases the same sized carburetor is used on a turbo installation. Many people use a side draft or downdraft Weber 40 or Dellorto.

or can you?

scott.parker
19-01-12, 12:02 AM
I was wandering if you can use a T40 set upo and then Turbo it... but me thinks not...

srs1
19-01-12, 06:21 AM
O've seem a tb'd turbo'd manta if that's any use.

mowgli
19-01-12, 06:49 AM
this must have been done before. contact the weber people (webcon?) the carbs will need different seals in them, and iirc you will need to build a sealed box to fit them in.

Pistol Pete
19-01-12, 07:08 AM
Might seem like a stupid/pointless comment....

Renault 5 GT Turbos....carb fed 1.4. Yeah, 1 carb but surely adding another 3 cant confuse the issue that much. Can it??!! lol

deanwilko
19-01-12, 07:34 AM
all depends which way you want to go suck through or blow through as both ways can be done

from what i remember you can seal the shafts and pressurize the float chambers and use delortos with boost, same as the esprit turbos, other than that you can build a pressureised box around the whole carb and boost that without sealing the carb, only thing you need to do then is make sure you have adequate fuel pressure, you can get a boost activated fuel regulator from burton if i remember right.

The std DHLA dellorto is not suitable, for blow through turbo.
You can get specific DHLA's that are though, the main difference is not so much the seal it is the float, this being made of brass rather than plastic which could crush under pressure, though the seal is a different sort too.
Most carbs can be used easy enough with suck through though, depending on what you want to do, and this has several advantages over blow through, the fuel helps to cool the charge air temp, and the impeller breaks up the fuel droplets so it mixes better.

speak to geoff kershaw(Turbo Technics), and he will help you.

thanks dean

ben doodar
19-01-12, 12:40 PM
ive seen a turbo mini running a weber carb many moons ago.

amggsi
19-01-12, 12:44 PM
Seen it done, no idea how though!

Southie
19-01-12, 01:18 PM
I'm sure the Lotus esprit had dellorto 45's fitted to it's turbo setup so should be possible some how.

calibra-keith
19-01-12, 01:39 PM
I'm sure the Lotus esprit had dellorto 45's fitted to it's turbo setup so should be possible some how.

Dellorto DHLA 45m turbo carbs

im planning and done research into turbo R1 carbs, plenty of info out there mainly from the Americans and drag car lot.