PDA

View Full Version : Which brake set up??

Phil_d
16-01-12, 10:57 PM
Im currently rebuilding my loon 16xe, debating what brake set up to use, i have a set of vectra v6 288mm front brakes and a set of 256mm brakes, do i just bolt the 256mm brakes on or go to the hassle of getting the 288mm discs drilled or getting possibly meriva 4 stud discs? also i have a gte rear beam with a disc conversion, i know a lot of people are against rear discs on a nova, the shoes and drums are shot, do i sell the disc beam and put towards new shoes, cylinders and drums or clean my disc beam up and stick that on, thanks in advance :)

autoworksnovasport
16-01-12, 11:00 PM
256 are plenty big enough to stop a nova and are a better brake imo to the v6 setup

rear shoes and cylinders are only about £30 for a full set anyway

Benn
16-01-12, 11:18 PM
I'd keep the 256, teamed with some proper good pads and you'll be smiling.
Re build the rears, so they work well and you'll be all sorted.

Phil_d
16-01-12, 11:22 PM
I know the rear brakes arent expensive just didnt want to spend the money and time on standard then decide to go the disc route, iv heard good and bad reports about v6 set up, think il stick with 256mm cheers for the advice.

Stuart
17-01-12, 08:45 AM
Discs are only for show or autotest use imho... sell your rear disc setup and use the cash for some proper fun spec front pads (plain pikey discs as they will be the consumable part )

Jack
17-01-12, 09:20 AM
256 will be more than capable, and lighter.

I do like the V6 setup though, iirc the price difference on pads/discs between 256 and 288 isn't that massive either. Fiat Coupe discs are pretty cheap too.

craig green
18-01-12, 09:11 PM
As said above, the 256 setup is fine if you have decent specced pads & fluids etc. The slave cylinder size in the V6 setup is bigger so there is more danger of a softer pedal feel vs the 256 stuff, even Astras & Cavs that came with 256's had a 2mm bigger bore on the master cylinder to compensate/give the best actuation.

Likewise with the rear discs they are overkill & not just as simple as bolting them on, the rear bias needs to be corrected so they dont lock up. I have ran 288's with rear discs & the braking was pretty phenomenal tbh but maybe not worth the extra unsprung weight & oddities (spiggot rings,re-drilling, strange hbrake cables etc) just for the sake of marginally better braking over a sorted 256 setup.