PDA

View Full Version : Car Auctions

mk1nova_rich
16-01-12, 11:26 AM
Whats the deal with car auctions?

I've been looking at cars on ebay and I'm considering buying one but our lasses mate has told me go to car auctions and I'll get one a lot cheaper...

Is this true? I have been told of a few bargains but do they all go cheaper than other selling markets such as ebay/autotrader etc??

Can you see the history of the cars before bidding? Do they often have a dodgy history?

Any advice would be much appreciated :thumb:

Spudly
16-01-12, 11:38 AM
At an auction, unless you go as early as possible and get a full inspection of whatever youre looking at, you may aswell be buying blind, people only usually send cars through the block when theyre fooked, if you want a keeper id stay well alone, you may get an absolute blinder for pennies, im not saying its all doom and gloom but my mate used to buy and sell and i would go with him to brid auctions/bawtry and drive them back for him, some of them were alright but he was buying with the intent to get them checked/repaired at his mates garage so they were good enough to sell on, quite a few went back through the block after inspection!

Ive seen them go back through with dash lights removed, bonnet cables cut and loads of really thick oil to stop rattles and such lol

mk1nova_rich
16-01-12, 11:44 AM
Thats along the lines of what I was expecting to hear. I've found a tidy Corsa C SXi with 2 genuine owners, full history, recent service and full T&T for just shy of £1400....going to view it tonight to check its all good.

I may get one cheaper at the auctions but I guess theres more chance of it hiding a few secrets, plus Corsas always hold their value anyway so it doesnt matter too much IMO

Spudly
16-01-12, 11:54 AM
Just out of interest, why are you buying another car, daily driver to keep miles down on bessie or you getting rid:eek:

mk1nova_rich
16-01-12, 12:07 PM
So Bessie can come off road for some TLC :) have a nosey in my project thread

Spudly
16-01-12, 12:36 PM
Ahhhh, i see, only you will get the bug and start modding the corsa and bessie will get forgotten about i reckon lol

mowgli
16-01-12, 12:39 PM
there is another thing to remember at auctions... when the regulars see some amateur newbie bidding on something, they will run the price up as quick as they can then dump you with it.. the buyers will have decided between themselves, who is having what before the sale even starts

mk1nova_rich
16-01-12, 12:55 PM
Cheers Mowgli :thumb:

Nah Spud, got loads of motivation at the minute...got a few plans up my sleeve depending on funds lol

Pistol Pete
16-01-12, 02:37 PM
Get along to a few and suss it out. Bargains are to be had. It isn't just ****ters as spud says. A lot of ex fleet cars go via auctions too. Ok they might be out of your price range, but still.

I've been to a few. My mate buys from auctions to sell on. Try it.

Tim
16-01-12, 06:14 PM
im in the market for a new car and was thinking about an auction. im sure by doing some good research and deciding exactly what you want and how much you should be paying at auction, some bargains are to be had. granted in sure that there is also some crap.

i think the best way to do it would be, like already said go a few times to suss things out, and act with your head not your heart.

good luck

blue_peg_16v
16-01-12, 06:41 PM
Never buy on your first visit got about 3 times before you buy you will then spot the crappers as they will be there all the time, bought a few from auctions grew up in them when my dad was trading there are bargains but you have to be careful there are some dogs there to go to a larger auction and you will get alot x fleet also manufacturers use auctions to get some new cars on the road at times I've seen un registered stuff going through qt rothwell

Ben
16-01-12, 06:44 PM
I buy have bought lots and lots at auctions, and tbh the fact your asking for gen I would advise to not bother. If you know what your doing, very gen'd up on current prices, auction costs etc then you can earn well or get a bargain but the last few I've been too I have found very expensive!

scott.parker
16-01-12, 06:58 PM
im in the market for a new car and was thinking about an auction. im sure by doing some good research and deciding exactly what you want and how much you should be paying at auction, some bargains are to be had. granted in sure that there is also some crap.

i think the best way to do it would be, like already said go a few times to suss things out, and act with your head not your heart.

good luck

Tim have you been down to Arrow Auctions? fact do they still do the cars from there lol not been for a long time, last time whent was the car boot!
But i did go a few years back with a mate to look over the cars, and it's about 1 in 4 are good to OK, then there is some utter **** boxes, and some bargains, depends what car your looking for really..

Tim
16-01-12, 08:28 PM
Tim have you been down to Arrow Auctions? fact do they still do the cars from there lol not been for a long time, last time whent was the car boot!
But i did go a few years back with a mate to look over the cars, and it's about 1 in 4 are good to OK, then there is some utter **** boxes, and some bargains, depends what car your looking for really..

i wouldnt even buy a nova at arrow auctions lol. ive been a few times with various people who were buying cars and generally seem to be pretty poor motors going through there. Id look elsewhere if i was looking for a car at auction tbh. And i know what you mean about the car boot, they are hardcore down there, its still going on even now, my father-in-law goes there for the dodgy dvds, lol.