PDA

View Full Version : Engine

Mrsmith
16-01-12, 09:09 AM
Hey iv got a 1litre mk1 loon and i want to put a 1.3sr engine in will it sit on my gearbox and wot do i need to change in way of wireing and feul lines thanks marcus

garyc
16-01-12, 09:21 AM
You will need a 1.3 F10 box as the bolt hole sizes on a 1.0 are smaller. I dont know about the wiring, I'd have thought that would be quite simple.

Mrsmith
16-01-12, 09:27 AM
Ah right ok then thanks mate wot about the feul lines or do they bolt straight on to new carb set up thanks again

mowgli
16-01-12, 09:36 AM
the wiring should be fairly easy, you will encounter some trouble with the starter wiring/coil from the 1.0. the 1.0 uses a 6v coil with a ballasted resistor wire (its clear coated), and when the engine is cranking over this doesn't give enough spark, so there is a wire from the starter solenoid to the coil to boost it. you will need to remove the clear coated wire back to the ign switch & fit a normal wire, remove the boost wire from the starter & use the 1.3 coil

i can't remember if the 1.3 has a fuel return pipe or not.

Mrsmith
16-01-12, 10:01 AM
Ok mate thanks

swedge
16-01-12, 12:48 PM
the wiring should be fairly easy, you will encounter some trouble with the starter wiring/coil from the 1.0. the 1.0 uses a 6v coil with a ballasted resistor wire (its clear coated), and when the engine is cranking over this doesn't give enough spark, so there is a wire from the starter solenoid to the coil to boost it. you will need to remove the clear coated wire back to the ign switch & fit a normal wire, remove the boost wire from the starter & use the 1.3 coil

i can't remember if the 1.3 has a fuel return pipe or not.

i have still never found this ballast wire thing on mine which was originally a 1.0

mowgli
16-01-12, 12:52 PM
its dead easy to find, as long as its still on the car. its the only wire in the whole loom with a clear plastic coating. maybe yours got removed cos someone fitted a 12v coil & couldn't make it work right..... i saw it done once... i also saw a car with a 6v coil fitted where a 12v one should be & it blew the ends off the spark plugs cos it was doubling the output voltage.

mk1nova_rich
16-01-12, 01:07 PM
The 1.0 tank has no fuel return so you will need to swap the fuel tank for a 1.2 or higher tank. Where are you located as I have an SR tank for sale in good condition

swedge
16-01-12, 01:50 PM
its dead easy to find, as long as its still on the car. its the only wire in the whole loom with a clear plastic coating. maybe yours got removed cos someone fitted a 12v coil & couldn't make it work right..... i saw it done once... i also saw a car with a 6v coil fitted where a 12v one should be & it blew the ends off the spark plugs cos it was doubling the output voltage.

so does the wire actually come straight from the ignition barrel to where? bering in mind i have no engine loom now aapart from my megajolt and starter loom

mowgli
16-01-12, 04:19 PM
straight from the ign switch to the original 1.0 coil

AndrewJenkins
16-01-12, 04:24 PM
bit of a thread hi jack but thinking about the same conversion i have recently put a new starter and alternator on my 1l are they the same as the 1.3?

thanks in advance andrew

swedge
16-01-12, 04:28 PM
straight from the ign switch to the original 1.0 coil

but i dont have a coil now so where will it go?

mowgli
16-01-12, 04:41 PM
well, you did the work... its the wire that does the ignition on when cranking.

swedge
16-01-12, 04:46 PM
like i said i never saw any clear coated wiring, the only original loom in the engine bay is the starter loom which has been untouched