PDA

View Full Version : Billing first timer - advice and suggestions please

jafanan
15-01-12, 11:02 PM
Ive been planning on making the journey across from ni to billing for the past few years in my mk2 sr but as my rebuild is taking longer than expected it never happened but now I have bought myself a mk1 sr I hope to make it in 2012! I've a few questions so bare with me

all I have to judge the show on is photos, does the majority of people arrive on Friday evening or Saturday morning? Is there a specific area for novas or does everyone take their own spot and rely on everyone to group together for photos etc? I've seen a lot of people talking and taking photos of the Papeete lap of novas, is this just for the winners or can anyone take part?

My sister lives in derby so I'm figuring if I was to travel to her on the Friday and make the trip down for Saturday first thing and hopefully camp or book a hotel Saturday night, show on Sunday and back to my sisters on Sunday night, boat on Monday

All the photos seam to be on a campsite, does everyone just park everywhere on the grass and drive around the site? For the 2 days or is there an allocated camp ground or once I'd pitch my tent could I keep my car beside the tent for the 2 days?

Also it would be the first big trip for the sr with a lot of miles obviously, do people from overseas take out any breakdown cover before going? Just curious....

Any advice would be appreciated on what people have done before

bazil
15-01-12, 11:06 PM
Wait till nearer the time, the events co-ordinator will post up details. You book a space on our club stand and turn up when you have your place booked for, you can camp on site,

Royston
16-01-12, 06:24 AM
There are a few members from NI that normally travel down, you may be able to ask them for advice, or possibly travel with

Worth the trip

Jack
16-01-12, 07:40 AM
We haven't confirmed the booking details for 2012 yet; but last year people had to book with Billing directly, then come and pitch up on our stand. We usually have a large area which we divide in half - cars up one end in display and tents down the other.

As for what day, you're free to turn up whenever you like. Hardcore campers show up Friday and leave Monday morning lol but we have people coming and going all weekend.

I'd recommend camping for the full effect, as its good to sit around in the late hours (or early hours lol) with a beer and BBQ which you can't really do if you have to get back to a hotel. Also, the hotels in the area tend to get booked up quickly.

Some sort of recovery would be useful too, especially if you're coming a long way!

As said, details for this year , how to book and costs etc, will be confirmed nearer the time.

jafanan
29-02-12, 06:14 PM
Any more info now on the show?

Wary of how to enter and what stand, how do i book camping etc

Mazz
29-02-12, 07:14 PM
As Jack said, the last few years you have had to phone billing direct to book where they give you reference number which you then tell them on the gate to enter. You also have to be a paid member of a club as there is special code which you need to get the discounted camping rate. To camp with the rest of PNG, you need to be a paid club member, which is only a tenner which you will probably save on discounted camping :)

Have a look around the vboa site which might give you more info : http://www.vboa.org.uk/toplevel.php?p=e1&inc=47

In my opinion, it the best show of the year, very relaxing!

Plug
29-02-12, 07:30 PM
Billing is a great show, will be coming this year,

amggsi
29-02-12, 10:27 PM
I'm getting the half 10 boat out of Belfast to Cairnryan on the Friday night, then drive down to Billing through the night. Spend the Saturday at the show like a zombie usually, then hotel!
Head home on the Monday from Cairnryan again.
My insurance has breakdown cover, thankfully I've never needed it before, but I wouldn't advise going without it, probably cost you the price of a Nova to get it recovered otherwise!!

jafanan
01-03-12, 02:36 PM
ive booked the 8:00am dublin to holyhead boat on the friday, travelling to my sisters in derby and staying friday the down to the how Saturday, camp on Saturday night, show on sunday then back to derby sunday evening and home monday. i dont have travel insurance so going to have to take a weekend policy out with the AA, looks to be around £50 for breakdown cover or there abouts

Mazz
01-03-12, 02:57 PM
good good, you'll enjoy it..